I bought this old grinder yesterday

Ultradog MN

It was on CL a month ago for $200.
About 10 days ago the price dropped to $100.
I have kinda been looking for a heavier grinder so I called about it yesterday.
After looking at it I was going to walk but he asked if I would give them $50 for it.
It was at a non-profit group and a worthy cause so I said OK.
Outer wheel clamps (big washers) and nuts are missing on both sides.

Looking at it again this morning I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse.
Wondering if I should just take my lumps and scrap it.
Clamps I could make, nuts I could buy.
1.5 x 10 wheels won't be cheap I'm finding out.
But what has me wondering this morning is the rpms.
Only 1725.
My 3/4 horse 8 Sioux is 3450 rpms.
If I did the math right 3.2 amps 3 phase translates to 1.32 hp. Nice size if it is worth spending a couple hundred more $ for wheels, nuts, etc.
What do you guys think?
Fix it or scrap it?
PS,
Back in the day, buying a round or two for friends at the bar was a fast way to dump a $50 - or more and at least with this thing I didn't risk a DWI as I brought it home.

cvphoto90271.jpg

cvphoto90272.jpg

cvphoto90273.jpg

I used a big grinder like that several decades ago in a textile plant. Yes it's slower but I only used it for heavy rough grinding and it excelled at that. On heavy grinding it actually worked better than the faster 8 inch grinders. All depends on what you want to do with it. We only used coarse rocks on it.

I wouldn't worry about the RPMs. A 10" wheels feet per second is going to be faster than a 6 or 8" at the same RPM. And running a little slower means less heat created. I have one of those slow speed grinders for axes and plane irons, it's about 10" and turns maybe 300 RPM. It removes lots of steel if you aren't careful!

My new 10" Jet is 1750 RPM I love it, it takes on all commers... 10" wire wheels are cheap on ebay... BTW I thought about ya yesterday... I had this truck give it to the dawg are to my grandson, grandson got it...

mvphoto76221.jpg

Ebay they hold up well I got the two pack over 10 years ago I have never worn one out yet...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392234312003?hash=item5b52fca143:g:tYUAAOSwmtJXbCtK

I have a extra HF 10" er that went bad I gutted it was gonna press the armature off the shaft add a center pulley and power it up with a external motor are I would give ya the nuts washers etc . Maybe someone has a Junker you could get the nuts off of...

I don't know how a 3ph converter would affect yours I do know once you go 10" you will never go back... You could also run a wire wheel on both sides till you lucked up on the grinder wheels. Most have no use for 10" grinder wheels laying around...

I'm no grinder expert but I'd look more at torque and horsepower than rpm. Think 1750 would be enough. You'll know once you push a piece of 1/2" steel down on it and try to grind an edge without stopping the wheel. I think those older motors were designed to run at that rpm and nowadays it seems like they make them run faster but with less power for the size and type of windings.

The circumference of a 10 circle is 31.4 and of a 6 18.84 so, at half the rpm (1750), the surface speed of a 10 wheel will be less than that of a 3450 rpm 6 wheel but should work fine I would think. To equal out the circumference would have to be twice that of the of the 3450 wheel.

I put a 6 inch wire wheel on a 1/3 hp
cvphoto90283.jpg

1750 rpm motor..

I value the skin on my fingers. An 8
inch wire wheel on my Dewalt 3550 rpm
grinder wants to grab things from my hand
and toss them across the pole barn. They
usually hide under something.

The slower wire wheel is safer for an old
man. Haven't lost any skin off my
fingers.

Use what works for you.

I like to use 2 different wheels on my
yellow grinder.

It looked like a good deal to me even if the wheels and washers were missing at first. Then I saw it was three phase. Unless you have it I would get rid of it. It would cost more to get it in working order than it's worth.

Old grinders are good though, I bought one at a garage sale in 1972 that looked older than dirt when I bought it and I'm still using it.

You did good!

Look up the price of industrial duty grinders. You'll be shocked!

As long as it runs and nothing broken or bent, you'll like it.

I plugged it in and turned it on this morning. It spun up nice and quiet - no load/wheels on it though.
10in grinding wheels are high!
Found one on searchtempest this morning in California 10in x1.5in x7/8in
Right size. I emailed the seller. We'll see.
Hobo,
If you are gonna part out that grinder...
What size are the clamps/big washers?
These are 7/8 id 3 1/2 od
If yours are close I would be interested in buying them off you - IF you want to sell them. Can bore them if too small.
The nuts are 7/8 - 9. It has both L and R hand threads but both are readily available - Fastenal, McMasters, Ebay, etc. have them for a couple/few $ ea.
I feel better about buying it after all your replys.
Thanks to all.

Ultra Dog MN........ Not pulling your chain..... Just curious. When someone announces a part is cheap or expensive, to me it's a just a relative term only. What exactly is expensive or as you say high ? Wingnut

I would like to put 10in x 1 1/2in wheels on it.
That is what the machine is made for anyway.
After an hour of searching
I'm seeing them for $100 - $150 each
And this 7/8in arbor is uncommon. Most are 1in to 1 1/2in so I would need bushings.
I will do more looking though.

You will want coarse grit wheels.

Fine grit will burn the part more easily.

Just don't want to see you buy something you can't use looking for a bargain.

A fine grit wheel will sharnen wood woking tool at low speed without burnig or over heating quite as bad
Would love to have it.

Ultra Dog MN......thanks for the reply. Ok.... I did in fact learn something. I'll never question you again. lol. Yep..... That is what I'd call high also. I mean that is ridiculous. Best regards. Wingnut

I will look at it this week its in a shed down by the RR tracks...I say HF its a central electric offshore grinder. I would wire wheel one side those come with spacers/adapters for the center hole...

You will like a 10" grinder life will be good...

Your new-to-you grinder was one of the finest grinders made when it left the factory. If you use your bench grinder with any frequency, I suspect you'll find the pedestal grinder a real step up, and well worth the price of wheels and replacement parts.

Last thing I did today was go get the nuts they are 1" X 8 (

This post was edited by Hobo,NC on 06/04/2021 at 05:53 pm.

Thanks Hobo but don't bother.
I bought the 7/8-9 left/right nuts at
Fastenal yesterday and some 1/2x4 round
discs at the steel yard for the clamps.
Made a mandrel yesterday to make the clamps
on. First set of threads I've cut in many
years. I should have used cold rolled but
didn't have any. Had a piece of hot rolled
so used that. Not as nice a finish but will
work fine.

cvphoto90786.jpg

Cool, I was thinking the dawg could make those : )

When I get back there I will measure the O.D. of the washers my guess they are are least 3 to 3 1/2" with a off set to clear the center of the shaft and apply the clamping force near the outer ring of the washer.

mvphoto76479.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back