I think my VAC hates me

kenbob

I love my VAC but I think is mad at me for leaving it outside. Last year it quit running and it ended up being a coil. This time it worked fine in the spring and then set for a couple months. I started it thursday used it about 10 min and it quit running. I thought the problem was quickly solved. The facing had come off the arm of the points. Got points put in and then the button came of the distributor cap. Got the cap today. It started and ran for about 10 seconds. Started from square one with fuel and carb issues. All appears good. Tool the aircleaner off to make sure there was no air obstruction. I can see spark across the points. Some times after it sits an hour it will fire for a few seconds then die. I got it to run for 30 seconds once. I have not checked spark to the plugs yet, thinking with a new coil last year surely it couldn't be bad. I tried one thing before it got too hot to work outside. I reasoned maybe the on/off switch is bad. I did not take it out. I see two posts. I could get the test light on them and the light lit up when the switch was on, but went off when the switch was on. I admit I knew little about electronics, but this seems backward to me. jumping across those 2 posts didn't cause it to run, though. Testing spark at the plugs tomorrow. I think I used the old condenser as I knew about the new ones being junk. COmments on the switch question or any other pointers are appreciated. Thanks in advance. I left the switch on while charging the battery. The points were wide open so that should be ok, but can you cook a coil that way?

Went out this morning--no spark to the plugs and now no spark at the points that I can see. Condenser?

That tractor can sure make you feel stupid. I replaced the condenser and it ran for about a minute and quit again. Check spark and spark across points. Did some fiddling--no spark across the points. I got my wife to watch for spark as I fiddled with the on/off switch. Bingo! Loose wire. Feeling denser than Homer Simpson.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back