IH 240U Hydraulics Not Working Right

Ddenny86

Hello all, me again.

When I bought this tractor the hydraulics whined like crazy but the hitch raised and lowered no problem. I found out that the fluid was super low, so I bought a 5 gal and put about 3 to 3.5 gallons in it. The whining subsided for the most part, and I've finally got the bale spike hooked up but now the whining is back and it barely lifts the spike at all, and when I do get it up in the air it hardly lowers either. I did try to spike a bale and get it off the ground enough to put it where I needed but no dice so I just used my tumblebug to move it. I do not see any leaks even though the hoses are quite old and scarred up and no fluid is leaking from underneath either that I can see.

I used the search function and found that maybe the hydraulic filter needs replacing, so I bought one of those but have not put it in just yet. I wanted to see what your brilliant minds had to say before I go messing with things I know very little to nothing about. Just to clarify, this is an IH 240U. If pictures are needed please let me know and I will be glad to take some and upload them as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Dave

The issue is likely filter/supply side restriction. Putting in fluid can stir up sediment and add to the filter's task. A collapsed suction hose (internal break that restricts flow) is also possible. Don't run it making noise!! Jim

(quoted from post at 22:58:19 02/05/23) Your hyd. Filter is plugged. Change it.

The 240 Hydraulic filter is NOT AVAILABLE. Discontinued. No cross references. BTDT. Folks have been trying for years to find a suitable replacement, and there is nothing out there. If the filter can't be washed and replaced, you may need to remove it entirely.

The hydraulic system on these is similar to a 460/560, and there's a pilot orifice that can get hammered closed or clogged with a chunk of crud.

I don't know where you put all that oil. The 240 hydraulic system only holds 5 to 6 quarts.

As I recall, there were 2 versions of the screen. One had a replaceable filter element. The other was just a screen.

(quoted from post at 08:56:45 02/06/23) I don't know where you put all that oil. The 240 hydraulic system only holds 5 to 6 quarts.

As I recall, there were 2 versions of the screen. One had a replaceable filter element. The other was just a screen.

That's right. Forgot about that. The later ones used the transmission and differential housing as a hydraulic sump. Early ones only drew oil out of a separate sump in the torque tube.

I had an early one. Think it was either a 3-digit serial or a 4-digit starting with 1. Never really liked the thing. Radiator went KAPLOOEY driving it home. Hydraulics went KAPLOOEY when I tried to use it in the field.

I was not aware that the later ones used the transmission for a hydraulic sump. Ours was also an early one, no hydraulic filter, cable type feedback from the Fast-Hitch to the hydraulics.

Lots of information here to process. I really appreciate this community. I'm going to take some photos and upload them so people can get a better idea of what I see when I'm looking at things. I was going to use pictures I already uploaded but realized that my 3rd arm was blocking view of the fill hole for the hyd reservoir.

I bought this filter from some Case IH dealer in PA, it was recommended by someone on this forum several years ago in a post I found from searching Google. I have no idea if it fits or not, I do know it cost a small fortune ($60-ish) and it was the last one they had. I believe they had this same tractor and cross referenced it to find that this one would be compatible but I could also be misremembering.

Either way, I will get some pictures taken today while I'm out there trying to find where the filter goes and see the damage. It may well come to the point that I have to put a bit of work into this just to turn around and sell it. I have to get these fields cut before spring grass starts coming in.

(quoted from post at 09:37:48 02/06/23) I was not aware that the later ones used the transmission for a hydraulic sump. Ours was also an early one, no hydraulic filter, cable type feedback from the Fast-Hitch to the hydraulics.

Hmm, mine had the filter in the base of the hydraulic section under the gas tank. It had a rod providing feedback from the fast hitch. Maybe it was an early-late one.

(quoted from post at 11:01:27 02/06/23)
Lots of information here to process. I really appreciate this community. I'm going to take some photos and upload them so people can get a better idea of what I see when I'm looking at things. I was going to use pictures I already uploaded but realized that my 3rd arm was blocking view of the fill hole for the hyd reservoir.

I bought this filter from some Case IH dealer in PA, it was recommended by someone on this forum several years ago in a post I found from searching Google. I have no idea if it fits or not, I do know it cost a small fortune ($60-ish) and it was the last one they had. I believe they had this same tractor and cross referenced it to find that this one would be compatible but I could also be misremembering.

Either way, I will get some pictures taken today while I'm out there trying to find where the filter goes and see the damage. It may well come to the point that I have to put a bit of work into this just to turn around and sell it. I have to get these fields cut before spring grass starts coming in.

I sincerely doubt you got the right filter. It was not available in any way shape or form 8 years ago.

I sincerely doubt you got the right filter. It was not available in any way shape or form 8 years ago.

Well, that's part of the risk I took buying such an old piece of equipment. I knew that, so it's no big deal. I will either figure something out, or I won't, but I'd much rather figure something out to make this usable. Here are the pictures I took, hopefully this helps to shed some light. I know where I *think* the filter is located, but keep in mind that I know nothing other than the fact that I know nothing.

mvphoto102182.jpg

mvphoto102183.jpg

mvphoto102184.jpg

mvphoto102185.jpg

mvphoto102186.jpg

mvphoto102187.jpg

(quoted from post at 14:16:52 02/06/23)
(quoted from post at 09:37:48 02/06/23) I was not aware that the later ones used the transmission for a hydraulic sump. Ours was also an early one, no hydraulic filter, cable type feedback from the Fast-Hitch to the hydraulics.

Hmm, mine had the filter in the base of the hydraulic section under the gas tank. It had a rod providing feedback from the fast hitch. Maybe it was an early-late one.
To complicate it a little more, there were really 3 feedback systems. There were cable and solid versions. There was also a solid version that was a field replacement for the cable system. It was not the same as the factory installed solid system as it used as much of the cable system components as possible. Looking at the newest batch of Ddenny86's pictures, I think his is a conversion. You can see what looks like a torch cut hole in the left side of the seat support. I believe the conversion required that hole for a rod to pass through. Yours may have also been a conversion.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back