IH 404 Rear Hub Snap Ring Removal

Just wondering if anyone out there knows how to remove the snap ring found inside the rear hub of an IH 404 (utility version). I have the axle pulled from the housing, but need to remove the hub from the axle to replace the outer bearing and seal and the IT manual is not much help.

Thanks

If it's a snap ring, you remove it the same way you would any other snap ring. Lots of picking and prying with various screwdrivers and other random tools, holding your tongue just right, a few choice swear words, throwing it on the ground and walking away for a while... In other words, you need to stubborn it out. There are no sure-fire tricks that I'm aware of.

You're talking about #9 in this diagram?

mvphoto105062.jpg

By the way, the snap ring has nothing to do with holding the hub on. The bolt and washer on the end of the axle do that. The snap ring is for the bearing.

Your hub may simply be stuck on the axle with rust. It may need to be pressed off.

Yes, #9 on the diagram is the problem. If I get a chance today, I will get a photo of it and post it. The thing that is throwing me for a loop is that there are splines all the way to the end of the hub, but the snap ring is 1/4 inch down in the spline (if that makes any sense) with no clear way to pull it out, even if it does move. I'm used to working on letter series machines, so this is new territory for me.

Shop teacher, do you know Charlie U, he was a shop teacher also, i would guess you do, we chat at mostly Red Power shows, etc, He would know a easy way to remove that snap ring i am guessing!

Thanks for the info on the snap ring. Before I posted the first time, we broke one hub in a press, that was when we saw the ring. After dissecting the broken hub (cut it with a cutoff wheel and split it in 4 pcs) we found all the rust in the splines. The other one is now soaking in a bath of penetrating oil before it goes to a machine shop where they have right tools to separate it. An education is never free, and sometimes it isn't cheap either.

(quoted from post at 21:38:29 04/26/23) Just wondering if anyone out there knows how to remove the snap ring found inside the rear hub of an IH 404 (utility version). I have the axle pulled from the housing, but need to remove the hub from the axle to replace the outer bearing and seal and the IT manual is not much help.

Thanks
I am doing a job similar to yours on a 1963 404 IH. I also can not remove the hub from the axle. So I am attempting to remove the axle from the tractor. It sounds like you did this already. How did that go? Do you have any pictures that you can share?

I don't understand why you need to remove the hub if you have the axle out of the tractor. Do you have any pictures of the axle assemble out of the tractor?

I would be real surprised if shopteacher replies to you. He shows 3 posts and they are all in this post. Grab and ghost we like to call it. You need to pony up and and buy or rent a bigger puller, hire someone like a mobile heavy equipment repair man to pull it off or pull the whole axle out and take it to someone that has a large press. You could try a repeat of the plate thing using mild steel instead of cast. If you have access to a welder weld a 3/8 by 2 inch flat plate on edge across the center between the bolts in the plate. To pull the axle take off the back cover and unbolt the bull gear. Here is a link to the manufacturers online parts catalog where that diagram came from. In the ..Rear frame and driving mech.. section, in subsection 063 Differential the bull gear is shown. It shows a Farmall row crop axle in the diagram, but that all bolts up the same no matter which model. Number 19 which I believe is a heavy washer and then a bolt goes through that.
https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/c...actor/cn/ACCE6496-EFBE-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back