IH 454 Gas Operating Temperature 200*F?

Hello,
I have acquired an IH 454 Gas and while brush-hogging with it the other day, I noticed the water temperature was hovering around the 200*F mark. I cleaned out the radiator fins, but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Is it acceptable to operate this tractor like this or should I be searching for ways to get this temperature a little lower?

Thank you.

If it is stable at 200, and if your speed and cutting load can stay at a high level with no indication that it will creep higher, all is well. if you adjust the speed/load to keep it from going higher, it probably needs flushing and a thermostat opening assessment in a can on the grill with an accurate thermometer. Jim

I would want it a bit cooler more like 160-180. I'd be washing/blowing the rad out for dirt then the oil cooler too. IF no joy then I guess I wwould look at draing the coolant fush out with a hose then ad some vinegar with water to fill go run for a bit an hour maybe then drain fill run drain fill run doing that a few times, then fill with water again to see if there is any improvement. Yes antifreeze will cool better without boiling but gets expensive if drained and filled a lot. Always some spillage with each draining and filling. Besides if it is getting hot enough to boil water it is to hot anyway.

I put a 188 in my Ford 3910 and that puts it at the line between white and red which is in the middle of the scale...not what you would call hot.....more like average since it is the middle of the scale. It will work all day and stay right there....its a diesel......like hotter engines for efficiency.

If you are worried about, after cleaning out your radiator inside and out, put in 50-50 and a pressure cap and have at it. Remember the reservoir at the top of the radiator isn't for filling with fluid......its for fluid expansion....all you need to do with cold fluid is to cover the top of the tubes.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back