ih 574 dsl injector pump timing

jamestee07

New User
ih 574 diesel fuel was getting into oil so i removed the pump lined -up crank at 14 degrees btdc but line {could barely see} on injector pump would not align til crank pointer was at top dead center or 0 degrees ..pulled the pump had it rebuilt 800 + US dollars..... never moved anything , reinstalled pump into same position .. At first it would barely run , would pop and crack and not rev up ..Bled lines some more it smoothed out some but ran erratically & would not shut itself off.. now it starts and runs lets you open throttle -up ok. but is dying & will restart ? is timing off even though the pump shaft lined up ok? i could not see the timing indicator lines{ didn"t appear to have any} just guessed at some very faint scratches that might have been timing lines.. yes i have the sorry A___d book or manual an the photos are not clear or precise enough to see hardly anything in detail Does anyone have experience with this tractor & can help ? its a Bosch va pump thanks

Hi, you could have the pump installed 180 degrees out of time. The Bosch pumps only turn at half the speed of the crankshaft so by installing pump without lining up timing marks you only have a 50% chance of getting it installed in correct time.
I hope you scribe marked the pump to the mounting plate and did not loosen the three bolts on the pump drive gear to the hub.
If you did NOT loosen the three bolts on the pump drive gear, then scribe marks on the drive gear and the hub and where the three bolts are installed, then remove the 3 bolts and turn drive hub one rev in direction the pump normally rotates and align scribe marks and re-install three bolts. Now try starting and running the tractor and see if it runs any better.
Also make sure you have the STOP/START/RUN cable properly adjusted so that in STOP position the lever has the plunger on the side of the pump completely depressed and in the RUN position the lever is against the adjusting screw at the front of the pump.

Good luck
JimB

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back