IH 574 Loader and three point stopped raising (new noise

Hello all, just joined due to new issue for me.

My 1974 IH 574 was working just fine... then while brush hogging for a neighbor the tractor slowly started making a new noise (I thought it was the brush hog) and the loader & 3 point were raising slowly, I checked the oil pressure & temp gauges and they were good, after stopping and checking fluid levels (good), I headed home and as I was parking her I no longer had any lift.

Please offer me a few items to go check on if you can, I've owned this girl since 1984 and never had a problem like this before.

Thank you for any help.
mvphoto76365.jpg

This post was edited by Thats a good boy... on 06/02/2021 at 03:53 pm.

Change filter and check the draft lever if it is not in the right position it will act up. It needs to be in the lower level where the slot widens near the bottom. Not in the slow portion just above that. You said you checked the oil level. Did you shut it off and check right away or leave it run to do that running will not be real accurate on that. Since the PTO and Steering works it could be a leaking gasket internally on the MCV or an o-ring.

As already mentioned hydraulic filter
Have you changed it before?
Remember to fit new sealing ring and wash out
bowl also help to put small amount of grease on
new ring
Will keep steering with blocked filter for safety
Also might be good idea to check radiator

Thanks for the replies, I did shut the tractor off and let it rest before checking the fluids. Last year I have the steering cylinder rebuilt, loader hoses replaced, got the radiator recorded, the hydraulic filter was supposed to have been replaced but i ordered one and will change it anyway..

Really appreciate the suggestions, keep em coming.

Is the remote lever in the center position, or is your loader plumbed
into the remote, or a power beyond? If the loader has its own hook
up(power beyond), maybe you bumped the remote lever and it is not in
neutral. It will make a noise and make the other hydraulics move when
this happens. Mark.

Could be the flow priority valve in the MCV is stuck allowing the flow to go to the PS and PTO only and none to the 3PT and the loader.
Sometimes by shocking the hydraulic system by turning the steering wheel to the max until the relief valve squeals or dead heading the remote outlet will temporary fix the problem.
But since your 3PT and loader don't work and I don't know if your loader is connected via the remote outlet or not it may not be possible to dead head the remote.
Flow priority valve is supposed to split 12 GPM into 3 GPM for PS and PTO and 9 GPM for 3PT and Remotes.

That is an interesting test, as soon as my filters show up I'll replace them and try this if it is still not working. The loader is supplied from a valve located it the area under the 3-point controls.
mvphoto76434.jpg

(it's the big wet one)

Hi, that appears to be a Power Beyond connection to your loader so the rear remote outlets are not connected to the loader, so try Dead Heading the rear remote.

See attached photos and also the link to the European service manuals for the IH 74 Series tractors, the USA Louisville, KY assembled units are slightly different.

cvphoto90799.jpg

cvphoto90800.jpg

Manual 574

(quoted from post at 06:01:32 06/05/21) Hi, that appears to be a Power Beyond connection to your loader so the rear remote outlets are not connected to the loader, so try Dead Heading the rear remote.

See attached photos and also the link to the European service manuals for the IH 74 Series tractors, the USA Louisville, KY assembled units are slightly different.

Manual 574

Nice, Thank you very much. I will try the dead heading.
I am still waiting for the filters to show up.

This post was edited by Thats a good boy... on 06/05/2021 at 12:33 pm.

OK, got my filters yesterday and changed the hydraulic filter, was great right away but the more I used it - it started to shudder at the end of any stroke. Today it ran just fine, what could the shuddering be caused by? I could only think of air in the line but there is no reason air should have gotten that far, I believe.

Again, thank you to everyone that offered assistance, nice group here.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back