IH 684 TRADE

Looking Into trading a JD 3020 for IH 684 late model. Can I expect similar power, hydraulic capacity, handling, etc? The 3020 is a peach but thinking of updating.

In all honesty I think the 3020 will be more tractor.
In size and hydraulic capacity.
A 684 is a utility tractor. 60-65 hp, 30 rear tires

"Updating" how? Both are very basic 8-speed tractors, but in some ways the 3020 is more "modern" than the 684.

3020 has a synchromesh transmission. 684 has a crash box.
3020 has closed center hydraulics. 684 has open center.

Both are 4-cylinder tractors, 3020 is rated slightly higher in HP.

The 684 is a utility tractor, is lower profile and arguably more maneuverable, but unless you're 5'8" and skinny you will not appreciate the sitting position of the 684. The high platform on the 3020 is much more comfortable for taller/larger people.

Then you say the 3020 is a "peach." Is that sarcastic or is it a nice tractor? Are you trading for an equally "peachy" tractor? IT makes no sense to trade a peach for a turd, just to get something a few years newer.

I'm not a red "chest thumper." Many here will tell you to get rid of the "junk Deere" simply because of the color of paint, but if the tractor is meeting your needs, is in good shape, and you like it, there is no point in trading.

What specific needs do you have that you think the 684 will meet that the 3020 currently does not?

I say, each to their own. Any time someone wants to trade green for RED, I say go for
it. We traded a 4020 a long time ago for an 856 and have never looked back. No more
green on our farm. Oh, by the way, the 4020 was on its third engine, second tranny and
the straw that broke the camels back was rear axle broke. Dad had enough of green
tractors

The only reasons to trade are either the 3020 needs a lot of work or the 684 is low houred and shows it.

Unless a 684 is a whole lot different from the 574 I've driven, I don't think the 684 would be much if any of an upgrade in capacity, certainly not in comfort. Condition might be a factor if the 3020 is getting long in the tooth.

Best comments ever. 3020 has 3400 hrs, professional done sheet metal, went through patching leaks last year. Will do anything needed. At 6'2'', 260, I've never operated a machine this comfortable. Everything since that one a disappointment. If JD made a 3020 with mfwd, I'd sell everything and just use it.
Sorry to gush on green, I also own an IH 424 and will never part with it. If tractors could be sports cars, this cutie is the boss.
All I have on the 684 is pictures. I do like red tractors so was thinking of changing things up.
Thanks all, your advice is taken and appreciated.
If I could just get the rears sett on 30"!

(quoted from post at 04:00:41

3020 has a synchromesh transmission. 684 has a crash box.

684 is not a crash box.
Speed lever is fully synchronized. Range lever is not, but given the ranges do not over lap, there is no reason to shift range on the fly. H1 (approx 5 mph) will start a load and then synchronized shift 2-3-4.

I'm a red guy through and through and if the 3020 is as good as you say I'd keep it and let the 684 go by the wayside. 3020 Better hydraulics and steering hands down. If you want to run any hydraulic motorized equipment you will be much happier with the 3020 and the closed center system. tTrans wise if the 3020 is a power shift it would make the difference for me. Those old syncros are a sorry se up for shifting to me. We have something like 13 tractors and only one Deere rest Ih or Stieger.

I've heard many Deere fans say the tractor salvage yards are all out of engines that bolt into 3020's, the
balance shafts have beat the bearings out of the blocks. And Mother Deere obsoleted all new 3020 parts years
ago.
IH built a whole family of 84 series utility tractors, they made a 184, Similar to Cub LoBoy,
284,384,484,584,684,784,884, and a Hydro 84 and my neighbor has a Case IH 995, pulls a 15 ft Batwing mower
with it. Never heard anyone complain about the Nuess powered Doncaster built tractors. Just make sure to
always release the parking brake, only complaint I've heard about them, operator error.
If you want to trade, go ahead, I changed brands of pickups 4 years ago after driving one brand for 38
years, 3 different trucks, I think changing brands was the best thing I did in years.

(quoted from post at 12:00:24 06/03/22) I've heard many Deere fans say the tractor salvage yards are all out of engines that bolt into 3020's, the
balance shafts have beat the bearings out of the blocks. And Mother Deere obsoleted all new 3020 parts years
ago.
IH built a whole family of 84 series utility tractors, they made a 184, Similar to Cub LoBoy,
284,384,484,584,684,784,884, and a Hydro 84 and my neighbor has a Case IH 995, pulls a 15 ft Batwing mower
with it. Never heard anyone complain about the Nuess powered Doncaster built tractors. Just make sure to
always release the parking brake, only complaint I've heard about them, operator error.
If you want to trade, go ahead, I changed brands of pickups 4 years ago after driving one brand for 38
years, 3 different trucks, I think changing brands was the best thing I did in years.

"the (3020) balance shafts have beat the bearings out of the blocks."

FWIW, the balancer is a unit in itself that hangs below the block, and the parent company of this very site has rebuilt units for sale. https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/en...MIzpa2yo6S-AIVmRXUAR2IAwDrEAQYAiABEgIN6fD_BwE

"And Mother Deere obsoleted all new 3020 parts years
ago."

All? That's a pretty all-inclusive statement and it's NOT true.

While you can't go and buy a new engine from DEERE MANY MANY 3020 parts are still available,

If the 3020 was long in the tooth those would be valid points.

Most 4 cylinder tractors built past about 1960 used balance shafts, 684 did not?

I'm not aware of ANY Nuess engine with a balance shaft,or ANY IH engine built by any IH engine plant, like Melrose Park, Ill, and FARMALL in Rock Island, Ill in the 1930's thru the late 1950's, except maybe higher HP single cylinder Kohler powered Cub Cadets. And on IH.CubCadet.com we refer to them as Grenade Gears.
IH built a few smaller displacement, like 120 to 155 Cid 4 cylinder engines in the 1960's, all without balance shafts at IH Louisville Plant.
In the automotive world, lots of 4 cylinder engines, the Chevy II 4 cyl, later called the Iron Duke, 152 cid the Vega OHC 4 cyl, Ford got lots of 1.6, 2.0 and 2.3L 4 cyl engines from Europe, none of these with balance shafts that I've ever seen. Not sure about the Imports, I had a Chevy LUV pickup with 1.8L OHV 4 cyl that had the cam towards the top of the block and tiny short pushrods, stupidest design I ever say, and no balance shaft. Not sure about Toyota and Datsun/Nissan, if anybody balanced a 4 cyl it would be Honda.

(quoted from post at 12:47:40 06/04/22) I'm not aware of ANY Nuess engine with a balance shaft,or ANY IH engine built by any IH engine plant, like Melrose Park, Ill, and FARMALL in Rock Island, Ill in the 1930's thru the late 1950's, except maybe higher HP single cylinder Kohler powered Cub Cadets. And on IH.CubCadet.com we refer to them as Grenade Gears.
IH built a few smaller displacement, like 120 to 155 Cid 4 cylinder engines in the 1960's, all without balance shafts at IH Louisville Plant.
In the automotive world, lots of 4 cylinder engines, the Chevy II 4 cyl, later called the Iron Duke, 152 cid the Vega OHC 4 cyl, Ford got lots of 1.6, 2.0 and 2.3L 4 cyl engines from Europe, none of these with balance shafts that I've ever seen. Not sure about the Imports, I had a Chevy LUV pickup with 1.8L OHV 4 cyl that had the cam towards the top of the block and tiny short pushrods, stupidest design I ever say, and no balance shaft. Not sure about Toyota and Datsun/Nissan, if anybody balanced a 4 cyl it would be Honda.

My 1969 IH 544 Hydro with a C-200 engine has a ''Lanchester balancer''.

HRd1VZf.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back