IH D282 Precups

Replacing blown out glow plugs on my 706. Ended up having to remove the injectors to get the glow plugs out. Of the 6 cylinders, 3 of the injector pre-cups stayed in the head. Is this an issue or can I just bolt the injectors back over top of the stuck pre-cups? I already need to order new seals for the injectors
cvphoto150359.jpg

cvphoto150360.jpg

cvphoto150361.jpg

ideally the cups should be taken out and everything cleaned up for the new seals. i have left them in also if they are stuck in there. . them glow plugs have had too much power sent through them such as with an alternator. make sure them injector bolt threads are nice and clean also and lubed. and torqued back and forth a little each time to 25 ft. lbs. them burnt out glows plugs happened to me last fall. a guy brought his 560 to me to change pumps and install all new glow plugs. the tractor started once and burned all the glow plugs out. he had 2 12 volt batteries in parallel with an alternator. i started it the same way i always start them. so took it back home as it had a burned valve and was not spending more on it. and they were not ihc glow plug. so some info for u so that dont happen.ihc also had a puller for them cups but where u gonna find that , need to make it.

Yea i don't even have one , from when i bought out all the service dept tools from a closing I H dealer , Three things were missing , one was the spanner socket for the old T/A flywheel , the seal protector for the T/A on the older tractors and the cup puller . I now have all but the cup puller. . I have had good luck removing them with the penetrating fluid i use and a brass Drift buy lightly tapping on them getting them to bounce .

Glow plug ON time depends on various things, outside temp, location in combustion chamber, heat output, brand, pre-heat/post heat ect.
My experience is max ON time 5 to 10 seconds, then OFF for same time. Better to turn them ON/OFF several times then leave them ON too long because they will burn out. They have a duty cycle ON/OFF time. There is usually a timer for them.

that does not apply to this engine. why do people not read the post and reply to that situation. the cycling is because such as in G.M. they used to use 6 volt glow plugs which had a relay and yes they cycled as most diesels nowadays or would burn out. the thing now with new glow plugs you dont know what u are getting or where they are made, probably india or tiawan. as i said them old dealer ihc glow plugs i used to hold them for over a minute on poor starters, and even after running till the smoke cleared. there was no burn outs. and also when cranking there is fuel spraying on them to cool them. and this is generators not alternators. and the ammeter needle would be pegged all the way to the right running.

if you confident they are stuck in there good , leave them alone. they will still be sealed. and to check once running spray them with soapy water to check for bubbles. if bubbles then work on the bubblies.

If the injector doesn't spray right, that will burn the plugs out over time also. I have one plug that needs replaced about every 50 hours on my 560 with the late IH/Duap valve that sprays slightly to one side. No more than I use it I just replace the plug when needed as the valve tip is very expensive.

Ya may get lucky and get by just cleaning up the matting surface on the pre cup . BUT since it is stuck it tells me that it has been leaking and it may not be setting flush . So what are your out but a LITTLE TIME And two seal rings. if they don't seat.

I got the pre cups out the 560 with this 1 1/4 12 nf tap bottom tap and the puller we made . I found using the tool with slide hammer works best. Been 7 years since I did it according to my log. So I dont remember . Dont have to pull head off to get out .
Make sure you change the seals 12 13 and 14.
See messicks link https://www.messicks.com/cas/144280
Make sure use a 3/8 16 bottom tap to clean out hold down threads in head . Use vacuum suck out dirts and carbon .
Put something into cups to keep chips ,carbon from getting into combustion chambers. Vacuum out after cleaning seal surfaces .

I turn my engine over 3 turn to wet the glow plugs with fuel. Then I hold in the glow plug button for 10 seconds before cranking ,,the engine will start in 15 to 20 seconds of cranking .

I find holding in the glow plugs button in to long cause new style glow plugs will do what your issue is without wetting them as in the ihc manual.
New glow plugs are not the quality of the old gGE glow plugs
You need only 11 volts at the glow plugs for incandescent glug plugs in 10 second.s .
Time your new glow plugs you self to better understand your starting process.

cvphoto150765.jpg

cvphoto150766.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back