I'm Excited! Another Accomplishment!

Bryce Frazier

Yesterday, I, Bryce Frazier, became the proud owner of a Duramax Diesel Truck....

I've been saving, and looking, and learning, and waiting for a good deal, and I finally fell into one.

I bought a 2001 Chevrolet K3500, Crew Cab, Long Box, Dually. Has a goose-neck hitch in it. LT Truck, full leather interior. Onyx Black on the outside, Tan interior. Duramax 6.6 Diesel, Allison Automatic 5 spd. Truck was bought new in Canada, and was fully loaded! OnStar, Auto Climate control, etc.

All in all, it is in decent condition. Has 240,000 miles, the kicker is that they rebuilt the trans 3000 miles ago, and had the paperwork to prove it!

What it needs:

It has a code set for "glow plug mis communication", dad said that is a easy fix.
It does NOT shift properly at all, goes all over the place, and needs a Shift Control Module (why they sold it), which is another easy fix.
It has a code set for "ABS Brake System Failure", which, is probably another easy fix, we just have to find it.
Has a small crack in the right dually fender, but that can be fixed.
The interior is FILTHY, and it smells like someone died in the back seat, but it is all very cleanable.

All in all, I scored. $4200 brought it home. Dad and I are both REALLY excited. I finally have the Duramax I've been wanting. Neighbor has a programmer for the LB7's, so by the time I am done with it, I should be around 450 horse, and 600 Ft Lbs of Torque. BEAST! ;)

Congrats. Young folks who want to make a lot of smoke and noise is who those things were made for. LOL

You must have found it in a state that doesn't use road salt. A truck like that around here would have rusted into dust long before that mileage and vintage.

hey bryce
YOU will really enjoy that truck. the horsepower for pulling a trailer is unbelievable.
i just hauled home a couple old D john deere tractors and you dont even know your pulling a trailer.
it is quite a treat to be driving a truck up a hill and being able to speed up instead of loosing speed.
you scored big on the price considering that a new one is over 60 grand here in ontario canada
have fun and a little fixing here and there on it will always make you smile
rock on.

I've got a 2001 3500 4x4 dually with 62000 miles.It mostly stays hooked to my trailer.

No no no no, that's not me! I love a good looking truck, nice paint, a little chrome. And a good sounding exhaust isn't bad either. But it isn't going to be a smoke thrower noise maker! It is going to be a puller!! :)

Don't see a lot of that around here actually. All of the 70's and 80's square style chevys suffer pretty badly from rust, but I have a 1995 K1500 that is nearly flawless on the outside! Not a dent or rust spot on the truck. I power wash vehicles off once a week, or maybe two weeks year round to keep the bellies clean. Clean truck is a happy truck!

Not yet.... I left it in town at the Chevrolet dealership so that dad and I could get the problems fixed before it comes home. Soon though!!!

Ya I know it! The dealer lot price on this particular truck with the miles, and with the problems fixed is $15,500!

They do have a lot of Snort.... Boss has one that we pull a trailer with, and it just plays with it. Neighbor also has one that he and I take sometimes if I need a bigger truck to handle our trailer, it has been programmed, and it is just incredibly strong.

They are picky about water - I was always told to keep the fuel filter changed in my 2004. It's a good strong horse. I never wait for glow plugs on it and it always fires right up without. I plug it in if it will be below 10 degrees. They have a good strong transmission so get her shifting right. My only dislike is that just barely moving the throttle surges on mine - always has. I've just figured out how to avoid it. I've got 125,000 miles now. It's never driven without being hooked to something.

> needs a Shift Control Module

Maybe, maybe not. Check for loose or corroded electrical connections before you start swapping expensive parts.

> It has a code set for "ABS Brake System Failure", which, is probably another easy fix

GM trucks of that vintage were known for ABS sensor failures caused by (if I recall correctly) rusty brake rotors.

> Neighbor has a programmer for the LB7's, so by the time I am done with it, I should be around 450 horse, and 600 Ft Lbs of Torque. BEAST! ;)

Don't start messing with the calibration until you have everything else right. Particularly that hunting transmission. And you'll need to wind that engine up pretty tight to get 450 hp with only 600 lb-ft of torque. The 2017 Duramax puts out 445 hp, but it does it with 910 lb-ft of torque. And it has a much heavier bottom end to handle that extra torque.

The best way to fix those faulty ABS sensors is to pull the fuse and place tape over the warning lights on the dash. I like my 2001 K3500 a WHOLE lot better WITHOUT ABS.

You'll enjoy it.
Not trying to throw cold snow on your parade. You do not have a LB7 you have like a 3 but the good thing is with your Dad as a mechanic he can fix it right up.

Ya, I know it. Don't want to push it too hard, won't be doing anything stupid with it! ;)

Worst comes to worst, I know a mechanic that can help me rebuild it! ;)

Let me add a litte. If you have any question about rust do what me and my dad used to do on all of the farm machinery. Take your little orchatd sprayer or an old air spray gun, anythung that will atomize used motor oil. Cover rubber hoses, rotors, tires, etc. Spray the crap out of the underside with used motor oil. Spray up into the wheel wells and the drains on doors and rocker pannels. Smells like a Jiffy Lube for a few days but it stops the rust DEAD in its tracks!! Been doing it for years and there are only two little rust spots on my 2093 Expedition that were there when I got it. Nothing has gotten any worse. Let us know if you did it. Also on Utube there are a couole of vids showing uses for drain oil and what I told you is highly recomended.

Way to go Bryce,I have a 06 lbz duramax 4x4.Lotsa power and a comfortable ride.I love mine.

Paul

Bryce, now you can come pickup that rearend for your big truck in style. Good luck with the truck and don't take any shortcuts on fixing it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back