I'm thinking of buying another portable generator.

Geo-TH,In

I don't want to buy a generator that I can't buy
parts for.

I can buy an aftermarket carb for my Champions.

Do you have a generator and was told parts are no
longer available or not available?

I can't remember what brand generator Billy
Shafer hated to work on because parts were not
available..

Duramax warranty:
Generator cannot be exchaned unless there is a failure that is not repairable. The warranty covers parts only
so you would have to get a diagnostic done at a small engine mechanic to verify the failure and perform the
repairs.
Some warranty:
Repairs and shipping would be the responsibility of the customer.

I don't think so.

Maybe buy an EV instead? https://www.makeuseof.com/how-ford-f150-lightning-power-your-home/

Just tossing out some new alternatives, LOL.

Even Hondas have a limited life. Not only was there a Taryl video on You tube about parts for the Honda generators getting obsolete, but I ran into that on an inverter generator where I work first hand:

It would not run. We had to put a carburetor on to get the engine to run. Then the only way to get it to run for more than a few seconds was to disconnect a plug on the main board. Then the engine would run fine but of course not put out any useable power. Then we found out the main board/module in the inverter was NLA No Longer Available. So if we billed for all our time and the cost of the carburetor, We had over $400 in a generator that still wouldn't work.

Lincoln or Miller. Yea they will cost 6,000.00 and up, but they will run as long ae you keep gas in them.

Get a portable welder in the appropriate size for the generator and then you have a welder also. Or better put you can use the welder as a generator when you need to. I have a Miller bobcat or trail blazer .Can't remember which it is 23 years old with the Kubota diesel and runs fine with just oil change ,fuel filters and air filter change. I think i have about 200 hours on it at this time now. I bought it new in late 1999 for around 7,000.00 cash. Has about 8000 watt out put. I have run the whole house on it with prudent electrical use.

I know several people that own Generac whole house generators.
None have had problems getting parts or service through their authorized Generac dealer.
I also feel authorized Generac dealer are the key words here.
Generac will not support non authorized dealers no matter how many years you been working on generators leaving some to say Generac has poor customer service.
You dont get to be the number one manufacture of whole house generators in the country through poor customer service.

With that said I have 3 portable generators.
I consider them throw away items much like a TV or a refrigerator.
If I can buy parts to fix it OK but if not I just throw it away and get another one.

First one is a 5000 Briggs.
Buying parts for Briggs motors is easy.
Mine needed a carb so I bought a $20 aftermarket carb from China and it works perfect.
Has been used twice but has close to 600 hours on it.

Second is a 7500 Champion.
Has been used once but has over 500 hours on it.
Still works as it should.
Our uncle paid for it so if it craps out tomorrow I am out nothing.

The third is a 5500 Duromax.
Never been used.
Has about 15 minutes on the motor from me testing it out when I bought it.
A neighbor bought it and never used it.
When he moved I got it from him in his my crap can be your crap sale.
Gave him 33 cents on the dollar for it.

Out of the 3 I like the champion the best but cant really pinpoint the reason I feel that way.

Jim,
Good advice. I didn't know kubota sells
generators.
I bought a Kubota/IHcase tractor because my
dealer has been in business since 1967. I feel
they must be doing something right or they would
have gone out of business.

So far the champion has the best 3 year warranty (on paper) and lifetime dealer support if you register within 10 days.

Some people in Terre Haute have been without power for 5 days. At my north location, I just got my power back. Still without power at my south location.

I'll bet that I'll have my choice of used generators in a while if stores refuse to take back generators people just bought.

George, I know you're still a young guy, but you might think ahead to a time when you're not going to feel like wheeling around a 250 pound generator. In other words, rather than a portable unit go with a stationary, whole house generator and transfer switch. Generac seems to own this market, but I'd look elsewhere. Kohler seems to have a much better reputation.

A while back I was dropping off some old concrete at a scrapyard and saw they had a dozen or so dead Generacs piled up like cordwood. That pretty much sealed my opinion on the brand.

I agree on the idea Mark, not your Generac comments. I have owned a whole house Generac since 2014 when I got tired of what you said about extension cords, getting it out, gas cans and all the crap.

I have replaced one part and that was the oil filter which contrary to filter published data.....3/4 turn after seal seats, the moron that installed it torqued it and the mounting plate to sheet metal cover developed a small leak.

Add that to the fact that the local AC guy that has become the local central heat-air dealer (through his own effort and initiative) has also added Generac sales and service to his other business last year.

The V twin engine in mine is built by Generac for use in the the unique requirements of continuous power for extended periods like mine having to run continuously for 4 days during an ice storm. I have it connected to a 500 gallon Propane, clean burning, no fuel degradation over time, tank. Have it topped off annually when I buy Propane for my house heater....now that I'm too lazy to use my wood stove anymore.

I bought the 11kW as I didn't need all conveniences operating simultaneously during an outage, to minimize fuel consumption. Cost was abiut $2500 with drop ship to the farm, transfer switch to separate gen power from coop power was $450. I read the installation instructions and installed the system, called the power co. to come out and ensure that the switch was working as designed and that was it.

> George has a fancy Kubota tractor.

True. But he also has an all-'lectric house, and it's not much fun going out to the pole barn in a blizzard to fire up the 'bota. With an automated setup, he can stay inside in his jammies and drink hot cocoa while his generator starts itself.

> I agree on the idea Mark, not your Generac comments. I have owned a whole house Generac since 2014 when I got tired of what you said about extension cords, getting it out, gas cans and all the crap.

I'm glad to hear you've had good luck with yours. The local distributor sells a bunch of them, so they must not all be bad.

Great George, you asked a good question and got a lot of opinions to help your decision making.......FYI in addition to generator choice, the proper safe and correct method of transfer of power from utility to genset as well as grounding and bonding is crucial so feel free to post back any questions

Happy 4th of July

John T

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back