Imagine If You Will......

Bryce Frazier

.... Me, Mr. Wonderful, driving this U.S. Army Ordered, 1956 Chevy 6400 completely restored with a pretty red Farmall on the back? Can you see it? I can.. :)

The price is right, so now I have to go get it...

There is a little bit of a story behind it, so here it is! I bought a 1963 Ford F600 with a home made flatbed/dump box on it. Runs/stops good, but it is trashed, interior, exterior, etc. $250.

The guy that owns this Chevy is a friend of ours, and his dad bought it nearly new and painted it Blue. Well, he heard that I got the Ford dump truck, and he wants it bad (Ford guys, I tell ya...), and he offered this on trade. It is very clean, inside and out, however it hasn't run for a few years (no big deal to us)

I WANT that Chevy, looks SUPA COOL!! :)

Has a 12 foot flat bed on it, and it is rated at 2 1/2 ton (or so I am told)

What do you think? Did I do okay?? Lets see some pictures of your "Big old farm truck".

P.S. Sorry I haven't posted any pictures of the newest tractor, literally it was home 15 min, and it stared raining, got it off in a quick dry patch, and into tractor row, but it is still raining, and I don't dare touch moms fancy camera until it stops!! SOON, I promise! Bryce
a173739.jpg

a173740.jpg

I always thought that the 56 and 57 were the best looking trucks Chevy made. Could be when went on the wheat harvest we had a 56 chev., a 57 chev., a 53 chev., and a 54 international.

It is hard to tell in the pics but the rims look like the very dangerous & discontinued split style.

If so you will need new rims

mvphoto12858.jpg

What is so dangerous about split rims? I have been around them for years without any problems??

If those are what are original, then that is what are going to be put back on, unless they truly are very dangerous??

Not meaning to be nasty, just would like to know more!! Thanks, Bryce

(quoted from post at 19:29:23 11/09/14) What is so dangerous about split rims? I have been around them for years without any problems??

If those are what are original, then that is what are going to be put back on, unless they truly are very dangerous??

Not meaning to be nasty, just would like to know more!! Thanks, Bryce

There is one true split rim, many types of lock ring rims and then the RH 5° 2 piece type that is solid on both sides.(bad news)

Lock ring types and even the true split do not worry me if they are in good condition, just the RH type worry me.

Bryce,
Looks like you've got a good solid truck there. A lot of them are rusted out above the headlights. I see yours is not.

If you have not already done so, you need to join the forums over at www.stovebolt.com The guys over there can help you with anything you need to know about that truck. Also there is extensive information about split rims. Check out the forum entitled "Big Bolts".

Good luck with your truck.

Bryce,

FIRST:
WAY COOL truck! Could even look cool running in its work clothes and hauling a very shiny tractor.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY:
In our neighborhood a 16 year old young man was killed when a split rim came apart while he was airing up a tire... blew off and smashed him into a gas pump behind him. If he wasn't dead at the scene - he didn't live long.

If they are split rims, I'd get rid of them...
just a mom's opinion - but dead sons are no fun at all.

I have worked on trucks for almost 40 yrs,and I can tell you, Sweetfeet is right!They are very dangerous;I saw one blow off once inside the tire cage.The tire only had 30 psi or so when it went(was needing 85 psi).It dented the cage, made it jump off the floor,and deafened us.I have seen tires blow out on tubeless rims also. There is tremendous power behind them too.You see, the split ring has to seat in it's groove in the rim and rust and old age take their toll and the ring does not seat and BOOM!! I also took a front tire off 1 time to do brake work and noticed the ring had a crack(you face it on the fronts);that made me so nervous I was shaking and I had to let the air out facing the ring.Others on here can tell you true stories also.Find tubeless rims. Mark

Bryce: Do to the number of deaths and injurys as described on here; the split type rims were outlawed several years ago. Tire shops a legally banned from mounting them. If you do change it yourself; be sure to wrap a good log chain around it in several places. Same applies to a rim with a lock ring. Still in use but be sure you chain them. 60-100# of air pressure behind one when it comes apart will go thru a metal wall

Hi Bryce
I could see an old red international truck with a Farmall on the back looking better L.O.L. Why not swap the Chevy for an IH Truck. Then your story would be like the guy that started with a paper clip and swapped up to a house a few years ago on ebay.

She does look ok to me for a project though so you did good i think so far. There was 2 trucks on this place when we bought it. I was going to restore them, but let them go a few years ago.

I got a pile of tractors here and reality set in I would be dead and not ever restore all the tractors, I have with work and spare cash availability with parts costs.
looks like your going to be busy earning for a few years to do projects as well due to rising parts and living costs as you get older.
Looking forward to seeing tractor pics as well.
Regards Robert

Cool truck!!!!Good trade.....Bryce,your 'new' truck has #2L(piced below). A 2 piece wheel.Commonly known as the 'widow maker'.Chevy used to use a lot of them.Start now and look for the more common legal/safer lock ring style.A ford(6 bolt) will fit.My '68 C50 had 6 of them.I got rid of them.cut em up,so no one can use them/get hurt. Only the front remain 'widow makers'.But I have two of the good rims to install when the tires go bad(or flat).You can also buy the newer style tubless rim that uses the 11x24.5(OTR semi) tire.Bryce,Look close at the pic.The front is the 10 hole(5 bolt) widow maker.The rear is a 6 bolt Ford lockring wheel. Yes,I did change rear hubs to accept the better wheels.Your truck has 6 bolt hubs.An 'easy' matter to swap wheels.
a173770.jpg

Your truck has the kind shown in illust. 2J,K,& L
The ridge that locks it together rusts away. I'm
with Kevin , I've changed hundreds of tires over 30
years , just get more modern side lock ring wheels
or go tubeless

Cool!

I once had a '48 Dodge farm truck that looked about like that when I got it. A couple of years later, I was driving it in parades. It was a working farm truck in between parades.

I was the fourth owner of that Dodge, and when I sold it the son of the original owner bought it back. I see it sitting in his yard once in a while when I drive past his place.

Those are NOT a 'normal' split rim! they are a 2 piece wheel.The 'mating' surface is narrow,only about 1/8".They get old rusty,they go BOOM! and you are dead.Even letting the air out they can come apart.The pressure change can cause shifting between the halves.BOOM!Hence the moniker "widow maker".And,whatever,under NO circumstances,EVER use an impact wrench on them if inflated.Just the vibration can cause BOOM!Scare you,I hope so.

Fantastic trade!

I have a 55, 56 and 57 2 tons. Unless it's been swapped, the engine is a 261. Larger bore and a little more cam (among other things), also could be set up to have an oil filter.

On the wheels, everything posted about the split rim is true. Technical name is RH5 and made in the millions by Firestone. Most of them in this day and age have significant corrosion on the taper mating face and have been beat on and abused. If any are low, do _not_ air them up! If they've shifted even slightly they will blow apart. Google for more images and check yours again. You have six hole lug centered wheels and will be able to at least find some split ring, 3 piece or one piece wheels. In this case, safety trumps originality!

Someone mentioned Stovebolt.com. Very good site! Check it out.

Well, I am getting the feeling that you guys don't trust the wheels???? :)

Where can I find them? Replacements that is? I have been talking to the guy about the truck, and I want it bad, but mom said that before I can get it, I have to haul her 15 loads of fill from the neighbors with the dump truck.... Not sure it can handle that!!!!!!! :p

Let me know if I have done the math right:

1963 Ford, straight 6, 10 speed

+

full load of WET fill

+

3 mile journey (one way)

=

About 2 hours per round trip... :) At least that is what mama says!! :)

So excited, not my first truck, but it is going to be my oldest! Now all I need to find is a 1956 Chevy tractor to go with it..... Hmmmm...

Nice truck ,always liked the late 55 thru 59s.
uummmm. 6400 is a 2 ton with 154 inch wheel base according to my Chevy parts catalog.
Nail head Buick was an engine option 56-59.
Chevy 348 was option starting in 58.
Have fun!

My straight truck is a 58 GMC 370 - the same truck with a few different options. I have the 270 inline 6 in mine. It has more than enough power. Just be ready to do it slowly - they redline at about 50 mph.

I use mine as a backup to the semis and haul feed and bales with it. Last year it was called into wheat duty and ran 7 loads a day to town and never barked once. I found a guy that had used tires for it and put those on the rear. I probably won't put another set on it in my lifetime. The tire shop in town wasn't scared to do them and changed them wih a full load of wheat on it! I don't worry too much about those wheels. When airing them up I usually clamp on the air chuck and stand back in case. That's probably good policy with lots of tires around here.

It probably still has the vacuum two speed shift. I believe that there's a kit to switch it over to electric. Those parts are getting kind of scarce I think. I order all of my parts from Jim Carter trucks in KC Missouri. They really know their stuff.

I'm impressed that the bottoms of the front fenders aren't rotted out. Pretty or not, it is in good shape. If you decide to paint it pretty you won't have much prep to do. It took an act of congress to dent the old suckers.

Get the truck. If you don't you will be kicking your self for ever. This truck is a little older than the one you want to get, but just as good. Dad bought this truck new in 54, it's a 6400 series with the 235 engine like the one you want. Not a lot of power, but they get the job done. Dad hauled a lot of hay with this truck. It is mine now still working hauling my A/C Model M and disc. I think the truck you want, will make a good project for you. Stan
a173812.jpg

The 87 Kenworth is the working truck, the 38 GMC goes out on weekends to shows and for ice cream.
a173813.jpg

a173814.jpg

a173815.jpg

a173816.jpg

Bryce,

Not to be disrespectful, but you are a young person and should be planning for college. I was like that and had to work twice as hard when the time came.

Do It ! ,... You will be thrilled ,,, I have a 58 Viking c-60 Grain Truck ,original 283, bought new at 1958 ky state fair ..by my great uncle ...not exactly pristine ,, in its work clothes, and its never been buggered with

Well, I think that you are probably right, but I am already set to go.

An old friend of ours has been after me for 3 years to go to Annapolis, and come out a Naval Officer, I didn't want tot do that, and he came back about 4 months ago, and told us that he would write me a check to wherever I wanted to go, as long as I was getting and education for the job I truly wanted to do, farm.

Then, on top of that, after our spring plow day (we plowed the local U of I "practice" field) a man CALLED ME at home, and introduced himself as Dr. Charles Buck, CEO of U of I.... That was a WOW moment!

He talked to me for a minute, and then he came out and asked where I was going to school, I said that I didn't know, and he said that was good, because he was going to make sure that I went to U of I anyway... He said that he had done a little research on me, and had spoken to some people in my community, and he said that "U of I WANTS you"... Full ride, on a two year Agricultural Sciences... That was a WONDERFUL day!!!!!!

It is good to hear that, a degree is something no one can take away and will set the stage for your financial standing the rest of your life. I kept quitting college and going back to work, my father inlaw convinced me to stay in school and finish.

(quoted from post at 10:57:04 11/10/14) Do It ! ,... You will be thrilled ,,, I have a 58 Viking c-60 Grain Truck ,original 283, bought new at 1958 ky state fair ..by my great uncle ...not exactly pristine ,, in its work clothes, and its never been buggered with

The IH dealer I worked for back in 70's had one of those with the old 283 and a 4 speed.

On M on top made things work! The old truck had broken engine mounts and a chain to hold it in place.

(quoted from post at 07:18:27 11/10/14) Well, I think that you are probably right, but I am already set to go.

An old friend of ours has been after me for 3 years to go to Annapolis, and come out a Naval Officer, I didn't want tot do that, and he came back about 4 months ago, and told us that he would write me a check to wherever I wanted to go, as long as I was getting and education for the job I truly wanted to do, farm.

Then, on top of that, after our spring plow day (we plowed the local U of I "practice" field) a man CALLED ME at home, and introduced himself as Dr. Charles Buck, CEO of U of I.... That was a WOW moment!

He talked to me for a minute, and then he came out and asked where I was going to school, I said that I didn't know, and he said that was good, because he was going to make sure that I went to U of I anyway... He said that he had done a little research on me, and had spoken to some people in my community, and he said that "U of I WANTS you"... Full ride, on a two year Agricultural Sciences... That was a WONDERFUL day!!!!!!

I don't think I would want to be known as a Vandal LOL!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back