International sickle bar on a 2N

G.H.Dingman

New User
Greetings,
My question is if a 2 point International sickle bar can be used or modified to use with a 2N Ford? I have the opportunity to aquire an IH sickle bar, and was looking for a opinion more educated than mine.
Thanks!
-Guy
mvphoto107114.jpg

mvphoto107115.jpg

Modification could be done. It depends on your skills, or how much you want to pay a shop to do it. You would need to modify the two draft points to category one pins for connection and build a top link mast which would need to provide sufficient room to not cause interference with the PTO shaft. If the offset is too great from the tractor when connected after modification, you would need a longer PTO shaft.

I would look for a 3-point hitch mower, rather than modify that one.

my late lamented sickle bar was a drawbar style. it had no toplink. is one necessary?

(quoted from post at 13:28:00 06/28/23)
my late lamented sickle bar was a drawbar style. it had no toplink. is one necessary?
y drawbar mounted unit didn't need a top link, as it has a tail wheel

(quoted from post at 14:44:24 06/28/23)
(quoted from post at 13:28:00 06/28/23)
y drawbar mounted unit didn't need a top link, as it has a tail wheel

hmm, no tail wheel on mine. looks like the drawbar kept the tongue of the sickle bar down, as opposed to anything holding the rear of it up.

If you already have it, it could be modified but is a lot of work, It has or would have trading possibilities.
look for a three point mower. should be plenty available. look for a Dearborn or Massey Ferguson.
Worry free hook up.

Anything is possible to do, just depends on how much money & time you are willing to spend. IMHO there are a lot better choices for mowing tractors (no live pto) but if that is what you want to use,
then I would seek out a mower that is already configured for a 3 point.

A 2pt hitch mower I think would be.difficult. Grandpa used a McCormick trailing mower
with his 8n. It was the kind that bolted to the draw bar and had a.single tail wheel.
Later he sold the 8n and bought a Farmall H.

I don't know where we got it, or if they are still available anywhere, but we have what is the reverse of the Farmall Fast Hitch to 3pt adapters; it mounts like a quick hitch to your 3pt hitch like any
implement does and has the 2pt sleeves at the bottom. We have a Super C and some FH equipment and this makes hookup so easy that I even put FH prongs on a 5' hog. I like using the N and IH Fast Hitch sickle
bar combo for clipping the pond banks as ours is belt driven with no pitman arm and can over center, and the N has a much lower center of gravity than the Super C.

Easy. Install lower link pins about 8inches back from the points of the fast hitch. Then weld steel plates (4inches long by 2 wide as ought to be enough) to the fast hitch prongs so that they contact the under side of the lower arms when lifting.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back