Its getting bad here in nj and pa

We had terrible heavy rains just as it dried out from snow melt. A few were getting done planting corn a few were almost starting when the rains came.

Now its getting dry again, 3 weeks later. Some are still waiting for the wet spots to dry out, some on lighter ground are hoping for rain.

The corn that was planted early perhaps 1/4 needed replanting now this week. It looks terrible, uneven, dead areas, yellow.

The corn that is planted after the rains is barely spiking through the ground, in June.

Really ugly crop here in my back yard area.

The heavy ground drowned, the light ground is starting to wilt, a lot of ground you cant tell from the road if its corn or beans or planted once or planted twice......

What a mess.

Paul

Farmers in my hood have been running their irritation pumps. One farmer converted his pumps to electricity about 5 years ago.

If you time it right, you can get a free car wash.

Our 1st cut alfalfa grass fields are down to 1.5 tons/ acre. It didnt snow over winter. It was dry since February. York county issued a burn ban 8 weeks ago. The forecast was for rain last weekend, nope, stayed south. Forecast for rain last night. Philly got rain. Whoop dee doo. The weather is beautiful and drying hay is a snap but a crop disaster is looming for sure. I doubt a hurricane will be coming to save us this early.
cvphoto155818.jpg

You can see rows of orchard grass drilled into this field last October. It was coming along nice but without rain soon might croak. Probably

We got a couple storms about 2 weeks ago most in the area didn't get but still dry.Started watering on Thursday,thankfully have a 1 inch pipe of water running gravity flow off the mountain 24/7.

Larry, we are still wet here.
I hope to get in the garden today after mowing grass.
Son's 160 acres of corn looks great.
It can all change in a hurry though.

Here in West Central TX its so wet haveing hard time getting wheat out and soon be cotton planting time. It was just getting dry enough to run and get 3/4-1 1/2 yesterday evening late.

We have an El Nino pattern so this is the first time in 12 to 15 years that we are actually back to normal rain fall, the drought is over, and we are having heck getting our hay in. Our land has been severely damaged due to the long drought. We hope we can get a few years of this to recover. Also our cities have been about drinking dust, so they are loving the aquifer recharging. Ponds and Tanks are 2/3 full now. Even the fish can afford water their lawns. We hoping it does not change for a while.

Not all of West Central Texas. Were still to dry to plant. If things dont change well be dusting the cotton in. May be farming insurance again.

We got about 3/10ths about 2 weeks ago and needed an inch then. My brothers corn has some that is up and some still waiting or enough rain to sprout. My corn is up have not checked the stand yet. Fear to look. The beans were planted in dry ground last weekend. My brother is trying to decide whether to plant a couple hundred acres or wait for rain or just let it set for planting wheat on it. I may dig up some older seeding hay for wheat ground this summer. Cut the first cutting then burn it off and work up. I would plant another field of hay if I do that.

Really dry in parts of Ohio also been about three weeks around my area.this is the first time I have seen wet spots in my hay field dried up in twenty years looks like another ten days before its supposed to rain.

Southern Shenandoah Valley of Virginia- we had a dry Winter, and we've gotten very little rain this Spring. It's made mowing easier, but that's about it.
As my mom always says, it's drier than a popcorn fart.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back