Jacking up the old barn Pics

showcrop

I did major jacking under this old barn when I bought the place 23 years ago. I have done a little here and there as needed. The big project for this weekend was to try to take out some of the settling of the last 23 years.
6913.jpg
6914.jpg
6915.jpg
6916.jpg
6917.jpg
6918.jpg

First pic is rear I raised the center about two inches last year.
Pic two shows a beam added in 23 years ago i raised the left end about four inches and the right end about three inches yesterday. Now the posts on the main level support the upper level main beams as they should.
Pic three shows a bonus. I had thought that the sill here was weak but it turned out to be sound. I got a jack in two feet to the right and one three feet to the left and got that stack of lumber in there with a rise of about three inches. The stack is directly under a main floor side wall post so it helped the roof a lot.
Pic 4 shows the jacking of a main level corner post with no sill under it I bolted 2x4s on each side and jacked on the outer one. The below grade work had brought it up two inches and I gained three more this way.
Pic 5 is close up of previous
Pic six is front end. The post to the right of door is in the air. once I figure it out and get it up about 2 and a half inches it should level it out and it should all be pretty trim and good for another 23 years.

I think the only thing I like better than seeing an old peice of equipment saved is seeing an old barn saved.

Looks like it was definitely worth the effort.

(quoted from post at 13:23:15 04/02/12) I think the only thing I like better than seeing an old peice of equipment saved is seeing an old barn saved.

Looks like it was definitely worth the effort.

x2

That's my 971D. She sleeps there in the off season and spring summer and fall she is on the rake. Unfortunately she gets left out in the rain sometimes as we have hay fields as far as five miles away.

It is far less thirsty than the 901 gas that I also have. It has, however, developed a hot start problem indicating poor fuel pressure, so I am hoping to rebuild the pump this spring before hay season.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back