JD 2640 Starter replacement

I need to replace the starter on my 2640. Is there anyway to get the the bolt under the starter besides removing the steel hydraulic lines. Thanks in advance for you help.

(quoted from post at 15:20:57 08/08/23) I need to replace the starter on my 2640. Is there anyway to get the the bolt under the starter besides removing the steel hydraulic lines. Thanks in advance for you help.

Read through this thread and I expect you can fabricate a similar wrench for your use. Some have built them with more off set (1.5 to 2.5 inches) than the ones in this thread. Clearance under your starter will tell you how much offset will work on yours.

https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1626081

This post was edited by Jim.ME on 08/08/2023 at 12:43 pm.

Something seems off here. I thought TimS wrote this this morning which I didn't understand anyway how it applies to the starter.

(quoted from post at 17:50:49 08/09/23) Something seems off here. I thought TimS wrote this this morning which I didn't understand anyway how it applies to the starter.

Guessing you are questioning the battery box comment.

Tx Jim wrote that yesterday. I took it he was referencing the original negative battery cable ground point to the sheet metal battery box wall. Old, corroded and rusty sheet metal is often a poor ground and leads to poor starter performance. Changing to a longer cable and grounding it to the engine, or a starter mounting bolt, often improves starter performance. It is commonly recommended when someone is having starter problems with one of these tractors. Doing that has saved some starter replacements. I have made the change on my tractors and recommend it to others, even if installing a new starter.

This is the time to add a high torque starter.

I know we've had this conversation before, and I wanted to check my 4430 to see if the starter is the high torque model- is there a part number breakdown, or rating on the sticker? I think mine has a replacement build date, and listed a kW rating for the starter. Mine is an early 1973 SN: 4430H010338R, showing under 9000 hours, and VERY hard starting under 50F without the block heater.

I looked at my picture, I have a TY6713 in place. TYNDSTA049207, 12V 4.0KW, built 08/02/99. I still works as I would expect, but if a different part number spins faster to start better, I might be interested. I suspect the pump/injectors could use a going-over, or that compression is just low. Since I only use the tractor for hay mowing 20A or less and grinding feed ten times per year, it only gets 20-30 hours per year. Hard to justify a ton of money sunk into it, and most of the Deere starters are $583 with core.

measuring voltage at the starter is one of the first places to start .
Cables can go rotten under the insulation .
Ground connections can have high resistance .
A destroker would be the other priority .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back