JD 3020 Batteries

ajhbike

I have the 2 battery boxes and have worked through a bunch of slow cranking issues with you all.

I am currently using only one of the TSC 400 some odd CCA batteries to start. I used to have them hooked up in parallel but in the summer I reverted to 1 battery and it cranked pretty well. Being winter now it is cranking a lot harder. I am going to install a destroker on the PS up front...but if I hook both positive cables directly to the starter will I get 2X the CCA's and not cause any damage?

Also, would I connect each battery to ground or neg to neg to ground?

Routing two 12 volt batteries negative posts cables to frame & both 12 V positive post cables to top post on starter solenoid is the best method for highest CCA delivered to starter

Probably gonna get flamed for my comments but here goes.

I absolutely HATE I say HHHAATTTEE batteries in parallel. You can hove one that is week or has a small short and you are
dead. Have to unhook at lease one of them to find and diagnose the bad battery or whatever is going on (yes I do replace
in pairs).

Have converted all my stuff with two 12s in parallel to two 6s in series and don't have near the problems.

jm2cw

jt

How about both positives to my disconnect and then one big cable to the starter?

Both batteries are the same but I know that the batteries are or will degrade and age differently, but it is what I have

big jt
I'm not flaming you but JD engineers changed from two 6 volt batteries attached in series on late model 20 series-50 series rowcrop tractors to two 12 volt batteries in parallel on 55 series rowcrop tractors. I've owned a 4255 with two 12 volt batteries attached in parallel since '93 with no major battery problems. Yes I had batteries on it fail in my 30 yrs of ownership. When I started it last yr getting ready to bale hay it started unassisted.

I definitely will not change my 4255 to two 6 volt batteries

IMHO due to lower amount of retail sales on 6 volt batteries vs 12 volt batteries I think 6 volt batteries have a shorter life span than 12 volt batteries

On my 4030 gas I connect the two positive ends to a separate relay and jump the starter solenoid at the starter with a heavy wire. This delivers maximum current to the pesky Delco relay. I have a 3020 Diesel with the original 24 volt, 2 12-volt batteries in series, a late model 4020 Diesel with the factory 12-volt system, two 6volt batteries in series and a gas 4020 with duel 12 volts in parallel. All seem to cause issues, of a different nature. It seems like with 6 batteries someone needs a battery or a battery box.

Forgot to post this....

mvphoto101268.jpg

I hear you on lower sales but I use Interstates. They are very good about keeping dealer inventory fresh. Means you may
have to wait a couple days but IMHO worth it. Used to swear by Deere batteries now I won't touch em. Had a couple units
that I was replacing Deere annually and the only reason I replaced with Deere was they were still under warrantee. I do
have to drive a bit to get Interstate 6V but the local former Allis dealer keeps them instock. They usually have 2 group
4's and 1 group 1, Deere dealer in my hometown has maybe 20 of each.

BTW deere was late to the party going to parallel 12s. Case did it with the 70 series, I think Gleaner did it with the F,M
and L models. Not sure when IH went to 12's, maybe 86 series?

I just personally seem to be happier with my setup of series 6 volts. Not wanting to try and convert the world just my
little corner of it LOL!

jt

So two 12s in parallel, if one fails, you still have 12v.
Two 6s in series, one fails, you don't have 12v. Which system is going to cause issues.

I put a single type 31 on mine, and use the skinny boxes as toolboxes.

I finally bought and installed the de-stroker screw and it works great! The only negative is that it worked out that the tee collar on the screw is in a bad position for the final 1/4 turn...I can't get my hand in there to apply force easily. Made a rough little key and that works better
mvphoto103146.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back