JD 310 backhoe loader clunks between forward and reverse

When it is cold my 310 shifts from forward to reverse, and returns to forward silently. As it warms up it starts clunking on the shift, and if in 4wd it clunks more loudly.
Any ideas?

Had a case backhoe that clunked when you
changed direction. It was the pivot on
the front axle. The front axle could move
front to rear just enough to cause the
clunk. Easy to check pick up the front
end and try to move the axle front to
rear.

That clunk noise probably is slack in differential &/or planetary drives. I'd also advise to check to be sure all rear wheel bolts are tight..

My neighbors 2555 has been making a clunking noise when reversing directions for several yrs.

(quoted from post at 04:52:16 08/23/21)
That clunk noise probably is slack in differential &/or planetary drives. I'd also advise to check to be sure all rear wheel bolts are tight..

My neighbors 2555 has been making a clunking noise when reversing directions for several yrs.

I also expected it to be lost motion in the drive train, but there is no clunk when it is cold, and I cannot understand how temperature affects lost motion. It is the fluid side of the drive that normally is sensitive to temp., but I am stumped on what it would be.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back