JD 4230 quad range problems

lkboggess12

New User
Hey guys, just looked at a 74 jd 4230 tractor for sale. Tractor is in good shape and runs well but the quad range transmission is another story. The transmission works in 1 and 3 but will not shift over to 2 and 4. Also, the transmission occasionally pops out of C range. Just curious if it is worth buying and if so, how expensive the repairs will run me. Any insight about the potential problems/repairs would be appreciated.

(quoted from post at 13:02:25 02/20/22) Hey guys, just looked at a 74 jd 4230 tractor for sale. Tractor is in good shape and runs well but the quad range transmission is another story. The transmission works in 1 and 3 but will not shift over to 2 and 4. Also, the transmission occasionally pops out of C range. Just curious if it is worth buying and if so, how expensive the repairs will run me. Any insight about the potential problems/repairs would be appreciated.

FIRST thing to check would be for sagged cab mounts and/or shift linkage adjustments.

If "C" range problem is internal it gets $$$$, as it's on the bottom shaft in the transmission, the last parts out of the case and the first parts back in.

My 4040 started popping out of B back in 1991. Cost me $3500 back then. The two speed in the quad went in about 98. That was
another $3500. I'd hate to imagine what it'd cost today.

I second what- Wore out- said.. Easy to check the cab mounts, are they loose or rubber-donu ts wore
out?? Also go through the adjustment of the shift linkage..

Like the others said C range is pricey to change,, it could just be a broken thrust washer on the bottom shaft, but still needs a complete tear down,,B C and D plus shift collars and thrust washers, snap rings and bearings...then most likely the trans pump and rebuilding the top shaft while its on the bench..will easily get to around $7500-$8500...as for the High / Low it probably has a broken keeper on the shift tube,,a different split from the trans issue,,along with that re-sealing it and going through the Perma clutch,,another $$3500....Yikes,, you could be doubling the cost of the tractor before your done..

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back