JD 520 steering wheel dilemma

grayrider

Got a JD 520 that I drug home and have got it running, probably sat idle for 30 years, the steering wheel on it was trash, searched all over for a new wheel that had the center hub with splines, couldnt find one so ordered this new one from eBay that was supposed to fit my steering shaft according to serial number that seller asked for. Well new wheel arrives today and the center hub is smooth internally with a keyed slot so wont work for me. Im thinking off cutting the splined center hub off of the old broken steering wheel and then cut smooth hub out of new wheel and weld the spokes back to the old splined hub. What do yall think?
cvphoto124209.jpg

cvphoto124210.jpg

cvphoto124211.jpg

Not building a parade queen or an authentic restored tractor, also thought about just welding this new steering wheel smooth hub directly to my splined steering shaft and be done with it

More pics, the steering shaft and of the 520, engine was stuck, soaked it with marvel mystery oil and diesel for almost 6 weeks, compression test was at 100 psi on both cylinders , new coil, new points, plugs, condenser and some redneck re-wiring and this old gal came to life. Got a water leak to fix on lower radiator line, just got back with some short pieces of two inch radiator hose to take care of that issue.

cvphoto124213.jpg

cvphoto124214.jpg

There was a serial number break after 5208099 from the keyed steering wheel to the fine splined steering wheel.

Later (splined) part number is AF3856R.

This very site has them for $57.

Other option would be to find a used older AB4827R keyed steering shaft and use the wheel you have.

wore out, according to my serial number this JD 520
tractor is a 1957 model , seller claims the new steering wheel fits the 520s
after serial number 5208099 but it does not

cvphoto124215.jpg

Ive sent the seller a message with pictures requesting a refund for the steering wheel and will order one from YT

NOT sure what you are getting at, by serial number your tractor is supposed to have the splined steering wheel and it DOES.

On the other hand, you have learned you can't take the word of all aftermarket sellers as to what things fit.

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/John-Deere-520_Steering-Wheel_AF3856RR.html

The steering wheel sold by THIS very site apparently has the serial number break right for the 520's, as it states it is splined and fits "520 Serial Number 5208100 and up".

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back