JD carb rebuild gone wrong

dbcriss

New User
I have a JD2010 with the MS TSX 810 N61 carb. I put the rebuild kit on it and thought I did a good job. Also did new spark plugs, battery, and fuel. Pulled the choke knob out and it started right up. Sounded better than before. Pushed the choke knob in about 1/3 and it began to sputter, at half back in it was going to die. Pulled the knob out and back to sounding good. Revved up fine, too. Pushed in the knob and it began to sputter. Turned it off and I moved the air intake away and felt the butterfly plate. Knob full out and plate is closed. Full in and plate wide open.

On the rebuild kit it said to use everything but I didn't. Didn't use the choke plate shaft or the felt bushing. I've no idea where a felt bushing should go. Also, the float needle looked too different and didn't have a way to attach that spring clip on the original, so I stayed with the original float needle after polishing it.

There is also a brass shaft through the center that I sprayed clean but didn't try to remove. It looks like it's been filed on a bit from a previous repair.

I'm not sure where the adjustment screws should be.

I used the gasket that came with the kit but didn't use a sealant on the gasket.

So, any help appreciated. Thanks, David

"not sure where the adjustment screws
should be"... That's where you need to
start. I don't know the setting, but the
owners manual should have that info.

If you take the fuel line off of the carb, does fuel pour out or does it trickle out? You need a good stream of fuel.

On the fuel inlet elbow (where the fuel line hooks to) did you remove this? I'm thinking that you did not. This needs to be pulled out as there is a screen on this and it could be plugged. This is the top item that I circled in RED.

The Idle adjustment screw is the item that I circled in RED in the middle

The Load adjustment screw is the item circled in RED on the bottom.

There is a chance that I have the load and idle screw backwards

mvphoto53909.jpg

You are correct, I did not remove the elbow from the carb. The strainer is between the two?

I believe the fuel flow looked like a stream. I flushed out the tank through that.

Would you know the initial setting on the top and bottom screws?

Thanks, David

My manual covers adjustments to a okay running carb but not the initial settings. Would you know them? Thanks, David

From the diagram you posted I can see where that felt bushing should of gone. Hope I still have it. The hole in it was way too small for that shaft, it must stretch?

" There is also a brass shaft through the center that I sprayed clean but didn't try to remove. It looks like it's been filed on a bit from a previous repair. ''
The brass shaft is the Main Nozzle , it has small holes in it that need to be cleaned and the only way to clean them is to remove it. Your description of using the choke to make it run proves they are plugged. What choking does is pull fuel through the idle passage to keep it running. Some times they are a bear to get out. From my memory the idle ( top screw ) is set to 1 1/2 turns out and the load screw ( bottom screw ) is 2 turns out and adjust each after it is running.
I'm not positive this is the right nozzle for your carb , but it shows the small holes in the nozzle.
www.carburetion.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?Part=CUT47343

Wow! I didn't know that main nozzle was supposed to come out. In my carb the end has been filed down a bit. I went to the link you
posted and it's quite a nice looking brass thing but I don't see a screwdriver slot or a way to grab it to spin it out. That's why I
didn't try to take it out. How's it removed? This is all great info, all these responses have been helpful. Thanks so much

Oh, I should ask. Are all TSX main nozzles the same? If I get the old one out I might buy this new one, one style fits all TSX?

(quoted from post at 01:57:27 05/01/20) Wow! I didn't know that main nozzle was supposed to come out. In my carb the end has been filed down a bit. I went to the link you
posted and it's quite a nice looking brass thing but I don't see a screwdriver slot or a way to grab it to spin it out. That's why I
didn't try to take it out. How's it removed? This is all great info, all these responses have been helpful. Thanks so much

Oh, I should ask. Are all TSX main nozzles the same? If I get the old one out I might buy this new one, one style fits all TSX?
heck this link : www.carburetion.com/CarbNumber.asp?Number=TSX-810
First off each carb has a specific size/ shape nozzle
The link shows 2 different nozzles were used in the 810
One comes out the bottom with a screw driver item 24 A and the other out the top with a small deep well socket,item 24.
Most repair kits do not come with a new nozzle, but can be purchased separately.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back