JD420 shimmy on hiway at hi throttle

boler76

can shimmy be cured by increasing toe in, it is set at 3/8 and all tie rods are tight and steering box has negligible play?? thanks

I can't tell you about wear on tri rib tires, but 3/8 toe on your pickup will git you new tires in 5,000 miles. I agree check for a well worn, worm gear.

as bob barker would tell his contestants in the game, holler that too much! on any vehicle a shimmy is tire out of balance. on a tarctor it is not turning fast enough. so u must have a loose steering box. at least its not a death wobble like the dodges have. toe in is 1/8 imch. better get it back into spec's. definitly nothing over 1/4 inch. and what are u meaning by shimmy? are both tires flopping to the right and left. then when u slow down it cures itself.

Nobody is looking where 90% of the shimmy occurs .
The half moon key and the key ways are wallowed out . Steiner sell new collars to weld onto the steering shaft .

you sir are the owner of a well used tractor. tie rod ends,loose gear box worn key and key way loose bearings

How fast you goin' ? 55 to 60 is a little fast for any tractor. We had a Grand Haven sweeper at the township. It was a tricycle and had a mean wobble at speed. I made up brackets and added a steering stabilizer to it. Worked great.

(quoted from post at 21:05:19 08/05/23) can shimmy be cured by increasing toe in, it is set at 3/8 and all tie rods are tight and steering box has negligible play?? thanks

Steering box adjustment ?

Have you checked the fore /aft play on the axle pivot? Our 40U had 1/8" or better and it sure sent the front wheels into a "dance" while in road gear.....

As previously mentioned play in the woodruff key on the steering shaft and gear box wear / adjustment will contribute as well.

(quoted from post at 18:05:19 08/05/23) can shimmy be cured by increasing toe in, it is set at 3/8 and all tie rods are tight and steering box has negligible play?? thanks

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back