John Deere 2355 clutch

Cwhitney

New User
All right. I got an open station 2355 a few years ago for bush hogging my hilly 30 acres. It's 2wd. This past weekend I was exiting the field and when I engaged the clutch I rolled a few yards and there was a pop. Then I could no longer engage the clutch and tractor stayed in gear, only way to stop was to pull the kill switch. As much as I played with clutch it never would engage, so I limped home in low 4, killed, reversed in 1 to put in barn. Is this a creeping issue? What could be wrong just a stuck clutch, pilot bearing or do I have something else going on? Looking for input to see if it's something I can take care of or do I need to call a mechanic to split and fix? Before that everything worked great, was downshifting to because of the steep path.

This post was edited by Cwhitney on 05/02/2022 at 03:14 pm.

Isn't there an inspection hole on the side of the clutch bell housing? Our 2240 has a 3 inch or so round plug, that is just held in by a spring. But perhaps everything is very different for the 55 series.

Welcome to YT
I agree with Steve that there's an inspection hole on LH side of clutch housing. Just pry spring loaded cover off for a visual inspection. Pop noise sounds as if clutch finger operating bolt broke. If that's correct a tractor split is on your future.

(quoted from post at 08:41:20 05/02/22)
Welcome to YT
I agree with Steve that there's an inspection hole on LH side of clutch housing. Just pry spring loaded cover off for a visual inspection. Pop noise sounds as if clutch finger operating bolt broke. If that's correct a tractor split is on your future.

There is, at that particular moment didn't think to look in the inspection port, as I said I'm new to ownership so will check the inspection port, though not exactly sure what to be looking for?
I do know this, I cannot fully depress the clutch to disengage the transmission, the clutch pedal gets hard where it should disengage.

If your tractor is equipped with dual stage clutch when looking in front inspection hole on LH side of clutch housing as flywheel is rotated one should be able to count 3 pressure plate finger operating bolts/nuts as shown in photo below.

Some 2350's with option of hyd IPTO had diaphragm not finger operated pressure plates.

mvphoto91656.png

Got a peek. The clutch fingers are intact.
But only one is touching the pilot bearing?
Other two are off. There was a fiber setting
on one of the fingers, sounds like I may need
a new clutch assembly.

*Seems to not letting me attach pics.

This post was edited by Cwhitney on 05/02/2022 at 03:20 pm.

Thanks for update. I agree it sounds as if tractor split will be required.

To avoid spam posters new members to this site haver to have 5 posts in order to post photos OR look at the bottom of home page on this forum for "site comments" Ask for permission to post photo & permission is normally granted.

mvphoto91664.png

Thanks for the info TX Jim, now just need to to get a hold of someone that might can help, or get a hold of a mechanic to do it, hopefully it won't be too bad. :( . Sent a request to post pics. Now I hope it's just the clutch and disc, probably cost more for the split than the parts. It appeared to be the assembly that you posted.

One pic of fingers one video of the fiber on the pressure plate finger.
mvphoto91668.jpg

[video play=false:94d1d6c3ed]https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/videos/mvvideo91669.mp4[/video:94d1d6c3ed]

Got it to mechanic and back, sorry for delay he was backed up and got it back a few days ago.

I was told a flywheel bolt sheered and bound the pressure plate which in turn shredded the clutch.

Parts and labor I was under $1500. I had him put a new oil seal in while it was split. Other guys was quoting me at least $1k more.

So thank you all for the info.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back