John Deere 285 won't start

scottshea07

New User
I am at a complete loss of what is going on. JD 285 ~1,000 hrs. Parked it one day last winter, has not started since. NOTHING happens when I turn the key. Literally zero. no clicks. no cranks. nothing. Things I have done...
new Starter, new battery, new ignition, jumped out the seat safety with fresh copper and heat taped it. The only thing that happens is the oil light comes on, which per the tech manual is supposed to happen when the key is in the on position before starting. Also, checked continuity where I can. look sgood. No mouse chewed wires. Air box is clean. Tried new relays in the 4 relay boxes. Fuses are good, replaced anyway. I pulled many of the connections on the back of the dash and cleaned them for fun. Any one have any experience with this issue? Or can think of another test?

You did not mention if you inspected, cleaned and tightened the frame end of the ground battery cable. (Or both ends of both battery cables for that matter.)
Might be worth a try.

(quoted from post at 10:02:32 09/30/22) You did not mention if you inspected, cleaned and tightened the frame end of the ground battery cable. (Or both ends of both battery cables for that matter.)
Might be worth a try.

Those are done as well. good thought. I have been fighting this thing for a year. I just went out after creating this thread and figured it out. The fuse was not making good enough contact. I have pulled that fuse out nearly a dozen times. Appartenly I did not push it in enough. Ha. Now it is cranking, just gotta get it to turn over. Prob check the fuel filter out now since it sounds like it is starving for fuel

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back