John Deere 50 starting problems

windows-ex1

New User
I am working on a John Deere 50 that has been sitting for about 5-6 years and at first the electronic ignition was not working so I replaced it with a new one and got spark, tractor was not sucking gas like I thought it should and it ended up being the manifold gasket was put on wrong by the previous mechanic and I need to replace it with a new one from Olson Gaskets in Washington. I replaced the gasket and I figured it would start right up but it didn't so I messed with the timing, took the carb apart and replaced the needle and seat, cleaned the carb as well as I could and assembled everything. In order for me to get the tractor to fire at all the spark plug lugs on the distributor are facing at a 45 degree angle from being in the level position and i set the main (bottom jet) on the carb at 2-2-1/2 turns out and the two small jets out about 1 turn each. the longest it has ran is about 15-20 seconds with choke, without choke and every where in between. compression is at about 110 lbs. in both cylinders. I am at a loss as to what to try next, are these carbs so finicky that they need to be set perfectly in order to even run? any help or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks in advance

How would the camshaft and crank timing get off if the motor hasn't been apart? can something slip? I'm going to pull the valve cover off and check for a broken cam or valves not adjusted correctly
Thanks

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back