John Deere 70 PTO brake has linings on both sides

andy r

I am getting ready to reassemble the live PTO assembly on my John Deere 70 diesel. Have all the parts necessary now to do so. The brake for the PTO is a circular flat piece of steel. The one I took out only had brake linings on one side (actually the lining was worn away). The one that came yesterday had a lining on both sides. Someone told me they use to come with linings on both sides and that it wouldn't hurt a thing. Should I use it with linings on both sides or chisel the lining off of one side? Any thoughts? Thank you.

IIRC back when I was working on more of this old stuff the replacements came that way with lining on both sides and they worked fine. For some reason not sure if it is model related or at the point where the black dash models came out where the brake did not come on unless you applied it I'm thinking that maybe the plate goes in a different way ? so with lining on both sides it works in all models.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back