John Deere 71 planter

Dean Olson

I have a new to me 4 Row planter. I have lots of questions.
It has two different chain tensioners. Which one is better? and can they be interchanged?
This planter spent it s life planting sunflowers and milo. Those plates translate into Okra, cucumbers and some squash for me. I also want to plant corn.
What 2 or 3, or more, plate # s should I order to attempt to cover my bases when I order seed next winter.
mvphoto40252.jpg

mvphoto40253.jpg

mvphoto40254.jpg

They both have made a bunch of revolutions, especially the first one, looks like time to replace with whatever version you find these days.

What kind of corn do you want to plant, sweet corn or field corn? The trouble with corn is there are rounds and flats, and there are 4-6 different sizes of each. What
seed can you buy this year, next year, the year after..... it keeps changing. The flats especially, the kernels can be long, or plump, or skinny, or squarish..... you need
one kernel to fit the one hole without 2 trying to squeeze in.

Paul

Thanks Paul,
You?re exactly right. I?m just trying get a head start on planting sweet corn for next year. I?m currently running a 50?s era IH 251 planter that I wore out. I have 8-9 different plates for it but seem to go to the same one of 3-4 of those plates every year. I live in an urban area and none of the seed dealers carry plates any more. I have to specifically order graded corn as most order ungraded.

The question is what # plates should I be looking for? What cell count?

16 or 24 cell plates. I've bought off eBay. Seeding rate depends on which size sprockets you have on your drives. If you don't have a manual, I suggest
you get one. Paul is absolutely correct on seed plates. I use a large variety.

Go to Lincoln Ag for info on plastic planter plates. Checkout the PDF downloads. The planter plate bible for JD is JD manual PC-268.

K-Mo
Lincoln Ag

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back