John Deere 813 plow

I have my grandfathers JD 60 with the 801 hitch. I believe the proper semi mounted plow would be an 813, with a gauge wheel. So I have been looking. They are hard to find. I think I may have located one. Anyone with knowledge please review pics and tell me if I have the right thing here? Also any comments regarding what you see in the pics. Looks like it is missing the horsehead and they are hard to find.
Also looks like landing lever is short?
D539BF50-89C6-46A5-B8B6-9327C65D7A73.png
07898922-9105-41BA-8832-63D045F3235A.png

Yes, I believe that is a JD 813 plow. I have the same exact 3-14 plow with the same steel gauge wheel and steel rear wheel. If you want I can post you a few pictures. I used it with my JD 70 with an 801 hitch. The landing lever appears to be the same length as on mine. The only thing I see missing is what the call the "horse head" to connect it to a JD 801 hitch. Al

I found a couple of pictures when I had the 813 plow on my JD 70. Looking at the landing lever, it does appear that mine is somewhat longer. I also have moldboard extensions and cover boards on mine. But these were options. Hope this helps. Al
DSC01208.JPG
DSC01209.JPG

You're correct in that a model 813 is correct plow for a model 60 tractor. JD model 412 would be another model moldboard built in early 50's. One clarification to your statement is that 813 is classified as integral not semi-mounted. Plows classified a semi-mounted normally do not have 3pt center link attached & are only attached to tractor lower draft links with rear rubber tire in contact with ground 100% of the time.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 052640.png

Thanks gentlemen. AJB, you pulled that plow with a 70 which has much more gusto than the 60. I would imagine I would be using 3rd gear. But am concerned about limited power to make this work with the old 60. Any opinions?

I am wondering if the lever was shortened purposely?

Last edited:
Thanks gentlemen. AJB, you pulled that plow with a 70 which has much more gusto than the 60. I would imagine I would be using 3rd gear. But am concerned about limited power to make this work with the old 60. Any opinions?

I am wondering if the lever was shortened purposel?
It totally depends on what kind of ground you have. In my red clay soil you could not easily pull a 3-14 plow with a JD 60. But a relative of mine pulled a JD 4-14 plow with a JD 60 in sandy soil back in the 60s when I was in HS. In my land it takes my JD 830 to pull a 4-14 plow. I will look in my JD plow parts books tonight to see if a JD 410 3-14 plow might have the shorter handle. If I remember right, a JD 410 plow replaced the 813 plow when the JD 620s came out. I believe the only major difference between an 813 and 410 3-bottom is that the bar holding the 1st coulter is about 6 inches shorter. I think this was done because the 1st coulter on the 813 would hit the hydraulic valves on the 620 tractor. But I believe you could cut off about 6 inches on the 813 plow to make it work on a 620. Texas Jim might know more about the differences between the two plows. Al

I live a long a river in Eastern Iowa. So my soils vary all the way from sandy to the thick heavy black deposits from when the river floods. So I’ve got it all. I appreciate the knowledge of you two gentlemen. I thought similar thoughts about that short lever. It must have been too long and conflicting with something on the back of whatever they were using to pull it with. But I know that sometimes these implements find there way to other tractors so that lever could have been modified to fit something else as well. I am curious to know what you find out, thanks again for your help.

I am envious of your 830. We had a 730 that I now Wish we had not sold. That would pull a 5 on our soils.

It totally depends on what kind of ground you have. . Texas Jim might know more about the differences between the two plows. Al
I agree type of soils drastically controls plowing depth & widths. Only real experience I have concerning 3pt moldboards is from looking up information on JDparts.com as not many of those type plows were sold at JD dealership where I was employed. I'm much more knowledgeable concerning semi-integral plows.

I live a long a river in Eastern Iowa. So my soils vary all the way from sandy to the thick heavy black deposits from when the river floods. So I’ve got it all. I appreciate the knowledge of you two gentlemen. I thought similar thoughts about that short lever. It must have been too long and conflicting with something on the back of whatever they were using to pull it with. But I know that sometimes these implements find there way to other tractors so that lever could have been modified to fit something else as well. I am curious to know what you find out, thanks again for your help.

I am envious of your 830. We had a 730 that I now Wish we had not sold. That would pull a 5 on our soils.
I looked up in parts book the plows we have. First of all, I said the plow similar to the 813 was a 410. It is a an 810A or 810B. Both the 813 and 810 plows use the same parts book. When I last looked at the parts book about 20 years ago, I had made a note that my plow is a 3-14 810A. Only difference I can find in the parts book is that the 813 has the longer bar for the 1st coulter and the 810A has a shorter bar. Mine has the shorter bar. Also, both plows have the same length handles. So it looks like someone must have put a shorter handle on yours. Also from the parts book it seems the 813 was made up through 1954 and 810 series after 1954. Not sure when the 620s came out, but must have been in 1955 or 1956.

Attached are a couple of pictures of my JD 830 and my JD 4-14 66 plow. Al
DSC00101.jpg
DSC00103.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back