John Deere G Shifting Knob

Anonymous-0

Right now I am restoring two John Deere G's. One is a 1948 model and the other is a 1951. My question is what is the correct shifting knobs for these tractors, and if they switched types, what year was the change? the 48' model has a oval looking from the side knob and the 51' model has a spherical knob. I know the numbered series tractors have spherical knobs on the gear shift and I was wondering if maybe someone had switched them at some point.

My 51' A has the round style on it the early G's I've seen have the oval style- however you want to describe it. Is the oval one iron and the round one bakelight (hacked the spelling on that).

the G shifter could be changed with a 70 shifter. Mine has the 70 black plastic shifter. I doo have a original iron one from a g but haven't changed it out yet.

Did they origionally have a knob? My 51 A that dad bought new didn't have one from the factory. My neighbor had an early 60 and if I remember right it did have a knob. Last time I saw that 60 was 34 years ago when it was melting down in a corn brib fire. Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back