John Deere H run a bush hog?

WI Dan

Might be crazy thought, you guys would know (and tell me) if this would work:
1940 John Deere H - can it pull and run a bush hog type mower? I've got some old rough land to mow. Wondering if a pull-behind mower on the H would chop up the overgrown grass and occassional small tree.

I would want more HP then an H can deliver for actual heavy duty 'BUSH HOGGING'..Of course subject to width..

NOTE heavy duty tall wet clumped up grass or heavy brush and saplings IS NOT the same as say clipping light clean tall grass, which an H
SUBJECT to size may be able to handle...... .... Also not having live PTO makes it even more difficult in heavy conditions....Good sharp
blades helps...

John T Thats only MY opinion see if others agree or not??

Doubtful but maybe in very small fine growth and in a partial pass (2-3 feet actual cut). Overrrunning PTO coupler required. I would plan on using a much larger
tractor.

I pulled a 5 ft Gyro mower with ours years ago,,hit a high spot and it busted the bearing boss out of the PTO shaft inside the case,, they really aren't tuff enough for that..

Though the Model H is often able to do more works than it looks like it could, that's just too big of saddle for the little horse.

I have cut a LOT of heavy brush with a 6' brushhog and a '47 B, and I usually use a Late Styled A with it, but I think even a smaller mower would tax an H beyond its limits in anything but a tame lawn.

Don't know if they still offer it but
Bush Hog made a nice 4ft unit with a
stump jumper. I have one. I find it hard
to believe an H couldn't handle a four
footer when a lawnmower would. The stump
jumper should keep you from overtaxing
it.

I have a 60 that i run a 4ft. bushhog with. Obviously i'm in overkill but at least i know that bushhog isn't going to cause harm to my
tractor. With an H it sounds from the other comments that you might not want to take a chance running it off PTO. However if you do, for
God's sake make sure you have a soft shear pin in the bushhog so THAT is what gives instead of causing damage to your H.
Arnie

You will have about same HP than John Deere 140 garden tractor. Those could not bush hog.

If you have storagr space, a larger tractor like a 70 might not be more money than a bush hog with own engine.

Totally depends on what your mowing.....I pull a 10' with my 630 & it doesn't even know it's back there.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back