Jubilee Sector Side Plates Stuck

I lucked up on a junked Jubilee at the junkyard a year or so ago and managed to get steering sector, among other valuable parts when I had the chance. I decided a few days ago to tear into the steering sector managed to get the column tube and the nut out. The upper column took a lot of penetrant and persuasion. All is cleaned up and looks OK, but I am not able to remove the side plates that retain the two sector gears. I tried a little heat after multiple soakings with PB Blaster and Kroil (both pretty good-IMO) all along mating contact surfaces, both inside and out. I am pretty sure they are rusted together. The only other steering sector rebuild I did I had no problems getting the sides plate off, just a few taps with a piece of oak and medium hammer on the threaded end. This one however, I have whacked pretty good and still no move. Any ideas or suggestions? I am thinking much more heat and BTS out of it? I tried two pins and a twisting action, went nowhere. The adjusting screws for each side are unlocked and move freely.

Those side caps are a fairly precise fit
into the sides of the box so It would not
take much rust to lock them in place. The
steering box is kind of unwieldy to put in
a press too.
I would say you are on the right track with
the heat and slugging them out. Maybe start
by bolting the box onto a tractor to keep
it from moving around? Then apply your heat
to the box and not the cap?
Then go after it with about a 3 lb hammer
and your piece of oak?
How much heat do you have? Ie, Oxy/acet or
a little propane or mapp torch? I'm
thinking it's a job for the rosebud.
Not much more you can do but apply more
heat and more brute force.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back