Just can't catch a break......

NCWayne

With things being as tight as they are I've been looking into whatever I can find to turn a dollar. After hearing that there was a market in the area for guys going around doing hauling stuff that people had bought and had no way to move themselves, not to mention it seems every time I needed a trailer I could never find one to borrow, I decided to drag an old trailer out of the weeds that was given to me several years ago. It was older 14' tilt top car trailer (with the runners on each side) that had been stiffened so it didn't tilt, extended to 16 feet, and floored. The best thing was that it had dual 6000 lb axels each with brakes. The guy that gave it to me had lost the hub and broken a spring messing up maybe an inch of the spindle on one axel. Instead of repairing it he decided to buy another trailer, something he had been planning for awhile anyway. Soooo,given that it was a farely well built trailer and having seen what he put on it I knew it could handle anything I wanted to haul with it weight wise and that with some TLC it could be a nice trailer again.

First thing was to make sure the spindle was repairable and that went fairely quick. Next project get at least one set of brakes working. I figured one set with 12,000 lbs stopping power would be plenty and just put bare hubs on the other axel. Basically I thought I could take the four sets and make two as there were good an dbad parts on each, but boy was I wrong.......Turned out three of four magnets were bad and that killed the deal right there. Then discoverd that they were "old style" high amp draw types anyway vs the new low amp models so they wouldn't have worked properly with a new controler anyway. Then I find out that regardless of type there are no parts available for this brake style as it is a Hayes, from back in the 70's or early 80's we think. One guy told me he had been in the business for nearly 30 years and had never even seen the style brake I had, and no one I talked to could even find it in any of the books they had.....So, no problem, just replace the whole assembly with a new right????? WRONG.....Turns out the backing plates on these brakes are spaced in nearly 3/4 inches further than the new ones which would make the brake shoes hit the front face of the hub before the bearings even reached their seats. To make matters worse with drop spindles there is no way I can change the mounting plate to make the new ones work, not to mention the new ones mount with 3/8 bolts and these have 1/2 mounting holes.
Since I can't afford two new axels I decided to get creative and bought two used assemblies for less than the cost of the replacement actuating levers I am now modifying the lever in my brake assembly to accept the new style magnets. Got one done tonight and hopefully will get the other tomorrow.

What's so funny about this whole mess is that just about every electric trailer brake design is identical to the others. Sure you change the shape of the lever or magnet or whatever to get around someone elses patent but ultimately they are all the same. In this case the way mine is built is much heavier than anything available today including ones rated with another 1000 lbs of stopping power. Too I found out that there are several of the Dexter brakes that have ratings several thousand pounds apart that are all identical except for the friction material. in other words jusrt because a brake is rated as x amount of stopping power it doesn't mean it's actually biuld any better than the smaller ones right below it on the rating scale.

I guess in the end it just really pi$$es me off that there are so many engineers out there nowdays, and throughout the years for that matter, that don't seem to do anything but take a proven design and make arbitrary changes to it simply to have something to do. Seriously even though the magnets may have changed the arc of the actuator lever hasn't, the way the brake operates hasn't, etc, etc. Basically none of the operating parameters or functions have changed so why change the way the thing is designed for no reason when what is there already works just fine. I mean unlike a car that is constantly undergoing style changes a trailer, is a trailer, is a trailer, be it 2 years old or 40 years old. In other words it's not like a trailer is going to suddenly go out of style and be scrapped for no good reason, it's something people tend to hold onto or at least sell until it is worked to the point that scrapping is the only option.....But then again with most of us guys on here a weld here and there and nothing is junk anymore, it just has a fresh coat of paint and a new life................... OK, I could rant on about the three days wasted looking for nonexistant parts in an attempt to save $800 to $1000 I don't have replacing complete axel assemblies, as stuff like this really pi$$es me off, especially when it costs me money I don't really have to fix some engineers idea of fixing something that wasn't broke to begin with......... OK I'll get off my stump now.......

About the same thing I found out on my Big Tex trailer. I removed the original axles and replaced them with a much stronger axles. The problem is the brake system is no longer being made on the axles I installed. I guess I will worry about that when something brakes. Have fun on your project. Stan

I'm curious to see the old brakes and magnets your talking about. I own a trailer/ auto repair shop and I;m the only one in my town that deals in trailers. Just wanted to see the style and see if I could find the parts, not that you still need them but for future info if I ever get one in with that set-up.
Ryan

I've got a 36foot goose with two 10k dexters and I have rebuilt them twice and they still dont stop. All new mags and wire, all soldered, two wires run and you can hit the brake controller full and dont feel any change. That goose is 7k empty and sometimes I have a 12k tractor on it. Its sure hard on my truck braks not to mention my pucker factor. I really have to back off to be safe on it. whats up with the dexter 10ks??

Have a twenty foot livestock trailer with Dexter axles that was used pretty heavily hauling hogs and cattle for several years. Well, the brakes were becoming less and less effective until it dawned on dumb old me that they aren't self adjusting. Crawled under the thing and tightened the adjusting star wheels and they would lock the wheels like new again. Had forgot that not all brakes are self adjusting.

Joe

There should be two controls on your electric brake control box in the trailer. Have you tried changing the setting on both?

Had a trailer that was jerking the truck bad when you applied the brakes. Tried adjusting the control on the right side of the box, but it didn"t help. Took it to the trailer place where we do business. Apparently the control on the left side of the box had gotten bumped and was sending way too much power to the trailer brakes.

If we"d had a manual, we could have figured out the problem, but the manual disappeared many moons ago.

Whats worse than any of these is having "Electric Disc Brakes" on a trailer. Company went out of business and no one knows anything aboutem and no one will touch them.

Stop blaming the engineers. The more you make of any one part the less costly it is. Likely the parts changing is a marketing move, have something new to sell. Or maybe a management move to cost reduce the working system to attempt to wring more profit out of it (think of GM here). American engineers are under fire right now. Management is working hard to move our jobs to India as we speak.
Tim

sotxbill Take a Volt/ohm meter and check what voltage you are getting at the axles. Turn your controller up all of the way when you do it. You should get within one volt of the battery. If you are not getting that work your way back to the controller. Really check the female plug out. These new controllers keep low voltage on the brake wire to sense when you hook it to a trailer. This makes the wires on the back of the plug corrode badly. I have had to replace a lot more plugs than with the old controllers.
IF you have two dauled tandem 10k Dexter axles then the cheaper controllers will not put out enough amps to make them stop. When they are getting the correct amps and voltage the magnets will hum when applied. Have someone work the brake controller and listen for that hum. NO HUM NO STOP.
I have a thirty foot goose neck with dauled tandem 10k Dexter axles. I do keep on them to make sure they are adjusted and work. I had a JD 4440 on it last week and a car pulled out in front of me. My truck's controller locked the brakes up hard on the trailer.

(quoted from post at 21:35:26 06/29/10) Stop blaming the engineers. [b:5fdcbeeec2]The more you make of any one part the less costly it is.[/b:5fdcbeeec2] Likely the parts changing is a marketing move, have something new to sell. Or maybe a management move to cost reduce the working system to attempt to wring more profit out of it (think of GM here). American engineers are under fire right now. Management is working hard to move our jobs to India as we speak.
Tim

In that case, AC compressors should be about $2.50 a dozen...... :lol:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back