Kevin's '57 Case 400 issues

20250606_083041.jpg
20250606_083026.jpg


So i received the gaskets from John yesterday. One seems to be missing a hole. Anyways I punched it out and it's back together again. I was missing some small 1/4" balls and had some extra springs someone someday installed. So now the 3 point works and the remotes seem to want some action. Push down for the arms to lift seems odd. Haven't put any weight on them yet.
20250606_185850.jpg
 
So now it's on to the brakes. Don't work at all. I drained about 5 gallons from the transmission area. How hard is it to replace the seals?
 
Not a bad job, been a few years since I did one, so memory is gray. Cover will come off with a bit of coaxing and reveal the disc, expander, and another disc. The expander has steel balls that get rusted up and don't allow it to work. The splines get rusted and don't allow lateral movement. So cleaning is a big part of the repair. The seal is looking at you and don't recall any trouble replacing it. A big help for reassembly is to get a bolt as long or a bit longer as the one's holding the cover. Cut the head off and screw it in the top position in order to hold the cover while you try to get the other bolts started.
 
Okay so here's what we got going on now. Grease everywhere!! At least I think that helped get the parts off the shaft. Nothing rusted tight. Was a pain to find that sweet spot to get the cover off though. Only took 1 side off for now. I'd say the other side is probably in exactly the same condition. All the springs are broken, it pretty much just all fell apart. So monday I'll give john a call again for some more parts.

So my next real question is that seal. What's it supposed to look like? How do I get it out? Can I pull the inner brake surface that looks like it doubles as the differential bearing race? They have it off in the picture but are also supporting it above. They also have it alot farther apart then I plan on going.
 
Decided to go after the other side now as well. About half the grease as the first. Came off as one unit this time. Still can't really tell where the seal is.
20250607_181755.jpg
20250607_181818.jpg
 
The back plate needs to come off. The seal is in it, Make sure you keep the same number of shims on each side. Need to drain the oil down or it will run out when the plate comes off, Also need to cut a 20 oz. pop bottle down to wrap around the splines when going back together or you will cut the new seal on the splined shaft, Keeping track of the number of shims on each side is important for a quiet rearend when done.
 
Thanks guys!! Got more parts on the way. But now im struggling to get those back plates off. Got one side to wiggle a little bit. Other side is stuck good. Got a couple through bolts applying some pressure to hopefully make enough room to get some penetrating fluid in there. Im going to pull the platforms off for more access so I can shove some wood wedges in places so it pulls more evenly. Anyways, what's the 1"x8" flat bar on the platform for? There's one on each side.
20250610_185055.jpg

20250610_185214.jpg
 
Well here's where we're at now. Got one side off, seals out. Parts showed up today. Still have some cleaning to do. The differential did drop so I'll have to jack it back up slightly to re align it. I like the idea of using some bolts with the head cut off to help realign the shims and set the cover. (Read that in another post on here). Pulled out 2 seals. Not sure if they are original or if someone has been in here before. John says one new modern seal will work, but im leaning more towards doing 2 seals each side. Im just a backyard mechanic, ill get that shaft as smooth as i can but im worried if its not perfect that oil will get past. Theres even a drian hole if oil does get past the seal. It was plugged though. I don't want to have to waste more time and money on this again.
20250616_183738.jpg
20250616_183650.jpg
 
Thanks guys!! Got more parts on the way. But now im struggling to get those back plates off. Got one side to wiggle a little bit. Other side is stuck good. Got a couple through bolts applying some pressure to hopefully make enough room to get some penetrating fluid in there. Im going to pull the platforms off for more access so I can shove some wood wedges in places so it pulls more evenly. Anyways, what's the 1"x8" flat bar on the platform for? There's one on each side.View attachment 117154
View attachment 117155
If I remember correctly, those strips of metal on my 400 had something to do with the heat houser mounting.
 
20250618_175638.jpg
20250622_115834.jpg


Well the brakes are back together and adjusted. Stops great now!! Thanks again everyone for the information.

Now onto the next issue. I'm leaking gas from ABOVE the fuel sediment bowl. Initially I figured it was the petcock valve like most of my tractors did, so I even went and ordered a new one with out even really looking at it. Well upon giving it a look to see if I had enough room to spin the sediment bowl out without pulling the tank I noticed the bottom of the tank is wet. So it's either leaking at where the sediment bowl attaches to the tank or the tank mounting stud area is leaking. It's an extremely slow leak, but still it needs to be fixed.

20250622_162441.jpg
 
Nothing worse than having to go backwards. This side is leaking past the new seals. I put 2 new seals in each side. This side was in the worst shape when I originally took them apart. Going to have to pull it back apart and maybe clean the shaft some more.
20250629_173943.jpg


Cant belive it's leaking already. I've barely driven this tractor. Even put 85-140 in it.
 
Stay encouraged,, I ll do anything once, twice if it works, Thanks for pics! , ! I like to use permatex aviation form a gasket.
Best of Luck
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top