Last Cab ride!!! You all need to read this!!!

JDseller

A friend sent me this. I had never seen it before. It maybe something you have seen many times but it made me really think. Who is going to give us our last "cab/tractor ride" ?????

The Cab Ride

I arrived at the address and honked the horn.
After waiting a few minutes, I walked to the
door and knocked. 'Just a minute', answered a
frail, elderly voice. I could hear something
being dragged across the floor.

After a long pause, the door opened.

A small woman in her 90's stood before me.

She was wearing a print dress and a

pillbox hat with a veil pinned on it,

like somebody out of a 1940's movie.

By her side was a small nylon suitcase.

The apartment looked as if no one had
lived in it for years. All the furniture was
covered with sheets.

There were no clocks on the walls,

no knickknacks or utensils on the counters.

In the corner was a cardboard box

filled with photos and glassware.

'Would you carry my bag out to the car?' she said.

I took the suitcase to the cab,

then returned to assist the woman.

She took my arm and we walked slowly toward the curb.

She kept thanking me for my kindness.

'It's nothing', I told her. 'I just try to treat my passengers
the way I would want my mother to be treated.'

'Oh, you're such a good boy, she said.

When we got in the cab, she gave me an address

and then asked, 'Could you drive through downtown?'

'It's not the shortest way,' I answered quickly..

'Oh, I don't mind,' she said.

I'm in no hurry. I'm on my way to a hospice.

I looked in the rear-view mirror.

Her eyes were glistening. 'I don't have
any family left,' she continued in a soft voice...

'The doctor says I don't have very long.'

I quietly reached over and shut off the meter.

'What route would you like me to take?' I asked.

For the next two hours, we drove through the city.

She showed me the building where she had once

worked as an elevator operator.

We drove through the neighborhood where she and her husband had lived when they were newlyweds.
She had me pull up in front of a furniture warehouse

that had once been a ballroom where she had gone

dancing as a girl.

Sometimes she'd ask me to slow in front

of a particular building or corner, and
would sit staring into the darkness, saying nothing.

As the first hint of sun was creasing the horizon,

she suddenly said, 'I'm tired. Let's go now'.

We drove in silence to the address she had given me.

It was a low building, like a small convalescent home,
with a driveway that passed under a portico.

Two orderlies came out to the cab as soon as we pulled up. They were solicitous and intent, watching her every move.
They must have been expecting her.

I opened the trunk and took the small suitcase to
the door. The woman was already seated in a
wheelchair.

'How much do I owe you?' she asked,

reaching into her purse.

'Nothing', I said.

'You have to make a living', she answered.

'There are other passengers', I responded.

Almost without thinking, I bent and gave her a hug.

She held onto me tightly.

'You gave an old woman a little moment of joy.

Thank you.' she said.

I squeezed her hand, and

then walked into the dim morning light.

Behind me, a door shut. It was the sound
of the closing of a life!

I didn't pick up any more passengers that shift.

I drove aimlessly lost in thought. For the rest of that
day I could hardly talk.

What if that woman had gotten an angry driver,

or one who was impatient to end his shift?

What if I had refused to take the run, or had honked
once, then driven away?

On a quick review,

I don't think that I have done anything
more important in my life.

We're conditioned to think that our lives revolve
around great moments.

But great moments often catch us

unaware... beautifully wrapped in what others

may consider a small one.

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID.
BUT,

THEY WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER

HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL!

You won't get any big surprise
in 10 days if you send this to ten people.

But,
you might help make the world a little kinder
and more compassionate by sending it on,
and
remind us often, that it is the random acts of
kindness that most benefits all of us.

Thank you ...

Life may not be the party we hoped for,

but while we are here,
we might as well dance.
So lend a hand to a stranger... Help a person in need...
Have patience... Treasure your family....

Cherish your friends... Respect people...

Give (of yourself) and... Be giving...
Forgive.... Love.... Trust...
AND
Thank God for being alive!

If you can read this without a tear in your eye you are a better man than I am. Just how many of us will end this way??? I have family around me right now but what about ten or twenty years in the future???

Makes you kind of tear up. My dad always told me to be kind you never know who is watching. I try and help out people as often as I can. In todays world that seems to be a lost virtue. I am thankful for how I was raised and how some people still have good hearts.

Great story, thanks for posting.

Yep while I dont consider myself "old" Im old enough to start thinking more about "end of life" issues and these type of stories touch my heart. Sometime at Bluegrass Jams I sing/butcher a song titled "(Rocking alone in) An Old Rockin Chair" which the older folks seem to enjoy hearing, although it makes them sad.

The mention of pictures makes me think of the song Paul Anka wrote for Kodak I believe " (Do you remember) The times of your life" ...... "Memories are moments you borrow to spend when you get to tomorrow"

John T

I think this will be us. I am the tip and end of our family tree here in the US (some branches in ole Europe), my wife's is scattered through the Americas.... and we are in our 40s now....

BUT I also believe that home is where the heart is and the same applies to family. Friends you can choose and they choose you. Family you can't and despite the blood ties, there is no garrantie they will be there for you. I should know.

Had the discussion with a friend just earlier this week. He retired in August.
Makes you wonder. And think.....

Thanks for posting this. I remember reading it a few years ago and it brought a tear then too.

We have elderly neighbors who have lived on an acreage 3/4 mile from us for 35 years, who had to move in with their daughter 90 miles away a few weeks ago. He is waiting for a place in a veterans home and she is looking for an apartment. They have no family anywhere close to here and few friends. They are very nice, jolly friendly people but throughout their lives, they've always came straight home from work to tend the garden etc. and they never socialized to make friends.

They asked me to watch their house this winter so I'm making an effort to drive in and out their lane whenever I drive by, sweeping the snow away from the sidewalk, and I'm even driving up to the mailbox just to make tracks in the snow. There is a certain emptiness I feel everytime I drive in their lane. They have been very self-sufficient people over the years but now they're at the point where they can't do it anymore. Sometimes I think back about the opportunities I had to help an older person but passed it up. You can't help them anymore when you visit them for the last time at the funeral home and you can't turn back time. Jim

Thanks to ALL of you that replied to this story. All of you put into words that I needed - A year and a half ago I had a heart attack and while in the hospital my best friend whom I have not seen in years sent my Family a letter about the friendship we had and still have even though we had not seen each other for years.

For a year and a half I could not find the words to thank him enough -- You guys gave me that today--- Thanks

Ken 46

I have always held this thought in my heart, I try to help the elderly and those less fortunate than I. I have told my wife that I hope there is someone younger than us to help when we get older.

I had never read it before. Makes me wonder who benifited most,the cab driver or the passenger. Thanks for posting it.
On a related note,there is a rancher in Early Texas who builds caskets with farm and and ranch theme. The business is called"Cowboy's Last Ride". Sure beats what's available most places.

A great story especially at this time of year. With all the anger in the world today, we could all stand to use a little more kindness with our fellow man.

Thanks for a good reminder.

I spent a couple years working maintenance in a nursing home to supplement my farm income. The rewards of helping some of the "residents" was worth for than the paycheck. I think every highschool grad should spend a year working in one of these facilities, it would give them a much better appreciation of life and what its like to be getting on in age.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back