Last post on Whirlpool Washer

Geo-TH,In

Went shopping today at all the places in town that sell washing machines, menards, hh gregg, sears, and lowes was the last stop.

We decided not to get any machine connected in any way shape or form with whirlpool. That didn't leave a lot of choices.

We decided we wanted a machine like the old school washers, using KISS, keep it simple stupid, GE was the only one with an agitator, ss tub, no locking lid, we get to set the water levels, NO AUTO LOAD SENSING.

There seem to be people who hate Wal-mart, Menards, Sears, HH Gregg and yes Lowes. So what? Sometimes I think there are a lot of haters in the world. It doesn't bother me, I shop at all the places. One of the reasons I like Lowes is FREE DELIVERY, SET UP, AND REMOVAL OF OLD UNITS. I have rental properties. It's nice to go to Lowes, buy what I need, pay for it and all my work is done. I have bought at all the other places, which means I have to do the work. No fun when doors have to come off ref to get it inside house and doors have to come off old ref too.

I look at it this way. Lowes doesn't make the washing machine no more than the rest of the places in town, so what's the big deal where I buy it?

We liked the GE at sears, they wanted $150 for a 4 year extended waranty. Went to lowes, same price for washer, $110 for a 4 year extended waranty.

Going to use defective whirlpool until we get refund. I'm sure Lowes and most other places will have Christmas specials if not Thanksgiving specials. Girl at Lowes said they have sold same washer for $404 in the past when it was on sale. I can wait. I'm cheap.

Well thanks for all the advice on the best of the worst.

Seems whirlpool has their fingers in many different washing machines. It's too bad, because I've been a life time whirlpool fan up to now.

George
GE top loader

I got my washer and dryer,when they needed replacing at Sears where they sell the scratch and dent models.Both machines had very small scratches that you could barely see.Warranties were same as new machines just 35% off.

Vito

Vito,
A few times, Lowes delivery provided me with scratch and dent discounts. Last time it was $75. I really like Lowes delivery discounts.

Boss is looking forward to getting a machine that is back to the basics. This model is the only basic model we could find.

George

I am glad you decided what you going to do.

I would not have the patience to go to that much effort to save a few bucks on a washer and dryer.

I can take the time spent and earn the money somewhere else doing something I enjoy.

I usually buy a good product and keep it a long time. The value of the dollar has dropped along with the quality of the products. So where a $500 unit used to be pretty good now it is the economy unit.

Like I said I am glad you came to a decision that your happy with.

JD,
I have 12 refrgerators, 10 electric ranges, 3 sets of washer/dryer. It wasn't until 2 years ago I had to buy a washer/dryer. The last set was in 1977, whirlpool, which is still working in the basement.

So, I know what I want when it comes to ref and ranges, just lacked experience buying washer/dryer. Actually this has been a learning curve for both of us. We are so happy the new washer is junk and going to get hopefully a better one.

I'm retired and so I have more time than money.

George

George,

If you are considering an extended warranty, check who the insurer is before you buy. Sometimes you can buy a warranty directly from the insurer (Square Trade, etc.) for less than through a big box retailer (you don't pay the retailer's commission).

If you sign up on Square Trade's website they will email you discount codes for 30 percent off for that day only and 20 percent off for a limited time. Other insurer's may offer similar discounts.

I'd sure watch the scratch and dent sections. We got a 25 cubic foot freezer from lowes for a little over half price a few years ago because it had a dent in the back panel. We needed one in a hurry and were prepared to pay full price, but the scratch and dent one was the same model we intended to buy and it happened to be on the floor when my brother got there to buy the full sticker one.

My wife would not let me wash my weekly loads of horse gear in her fancy washer so I took them to the local laundramat.

When we built this house 5 years ago, I put a horse gear laundry hookup in the basement. Then I bought the cheapest , no frills, manual top load washer and basic dryer that GE made at the time. Cost a little over $500.
5 years, of 3 or 4 big loads a week, lots of hair and dirt, both are still going strong.

Hope I did not just jinx them.

We have had good luck with our GE except for the power surge from the power company one day. I liked the idea of no transmission to go bad. Would probably buy one again if needed.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back