Little Genius trip plow

I have a #8 Little Genius 2-14 trip plow that I pull behind my
Super C. When I set the back depth lever in the deepest
three notches, the trip wheel wants to slide and not let the
plow go into the ground. If I put the lever in the other, not so
deep notches, the wheel rotates fine. Anyone have any
ideas?

Make sure the trip mechanism is free and the wear point are lubed. A tire with aggressive tread pattern might also help. Jim

The way I remember was that when the plow was tripped it didn't take traction from the wheel to go down but it did take traction to raise it.

I think you need to look at adjusting the spring tension on the lift assist sprigs. Weight and traction always help. Good luck, Mike

Back in the 50t's, before I remember very well, my dad had a Little Genius plow, with steel wheels, someone, maybe my dad, had cut the steel wheels off and welled the spokes inside the break-drum off a car. Then my dad put Oliver Raydex Mold Boards on it, which used the newer points.

The problem is the shares, or the ground is too hard. If the plow cannot penetrate the ground, it can’t put any weight on the clutch wheel. It works in the depth lever in the shallower notches because the plow has to fall farther, allowing more time for the clutch to rotate with weight on the wheel before the plow touches the ground. Try tilting it with the leveling lever so the points touch the ground first, but even if you get it in the ground, it will still ride up out of the ground if you hit a hard spot.
I’m betting your problems will disappear when you get the quick-change shares drawn/sharpened, or new points if you have the bolt-on ones.
Would also be beneficial to study the lines of draft shown in the owner’s manual, as an improperly hitched plow can contribute to a plow entering the ground too slow. When all is right with that plow, it will do an exceptionally nice job, and pulls easy.

That wheel should have a bar type tire on it and it should be mounted backwards of normal. That is tread reversed from that of the tractor because the tire is being turned by the ground not the tire turning from its axel.
Dave

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back