Load 16 tons, what do ya get, a dead 450 and deeper in debt

I asked about my father-in-law's 450 coil getting super-hot, a week or two ago. A gas 450 12-volt with alternator. He assumed the coil burnt, because it would turn over but wouldn't even cough. He replaced the coil, with the same result, before I got on the scene. Not knowing if the two hot coils had resistors, he bought one KNOWN to have a resistor, and I pulled the wire from the center of the distributor and held it near ground, and had an underwhelming yellow spark, but at least spark was going through the coil. I went to get points and a condenser, but went from there to work. In the meantime, he kept trying, same result, coil-with-resistor got hot, wouldn't start, so he went and bought ANOTHER coil, without resistor. Next morning, I put the new points and condenser in, and it started right up.
He wasn't satisfied with that, and wanted to try the coil-with-resistor, and then we got into the mess. When he tried to turn it over, the solenoid clicked, and then nothing. Nada. Zip, zilch, zero. Put in the other coil, same thing, a click, and nothing.
After THAT, he wasn't even getting a click at the solenoid, and the ammeter was showing nothing, no movement at all.
He then assumed the solenoid was fried, and replaced that. Nothing. He then replaced the toggle switch he wired-in years ago to bypass the key... nothing. He then replaced the voltage regulator, and only the good Lord knows if he switched the leads correctly, because they weren't marked on the old regulator. When that didn't work either, he replaced the original regulator.
He then tried to recharge his battery, but it wouldn't take a charge, so he bought a new battery. Still nothing at the ammeter.
What a mess, no rhyme or reason to the part-replacement, but here's what he did next.
With the battery charger, he put the neg on the neg post of the battery, and the pos on the unattached end of the pos cable where it goes to the solenoid, using the positive cable as a 'jumper' to the battery, testing for a hidden 'short', but there was none. Then he put the charger-pos to the unattached smaller wire from the same solenoid post to the ammeter, and he had to bend the wire to do so, and the ammeter came back to life!
That implied to me that there was a problem in that smaller wire, as the insulation was cracked in spots, with bare wire showing. So he spliced in new wire and connectors where the insulation was cracked, and he's back to the solenoid clicking, but it won't turn over, but at least there's life.
I'm suspicious of ALL his wiring, and here's some pics...

The alternator...

450-1.jpg

One of the alternator wires...

450-2.jpg

Solenoid wires...many breaks in insulation...

450-3.jpg

And close-up...

450-4.jpg

Battery neg cable..

450-5.jpg

Battery pos cable..

450-6.jpg

Now, I have a college education which is doing me little good in the real world. But, I've always thought that corroded wire caused reistance-problems, and a clicking-solenoid is telling me that not enough juice is getting through to turn the 450 over, despite a new battery.
Is there anything obvious here I'm missing?
I worry that he screwed up the regulator connections, and/or, that he poked something loose when he was replacing the toggle switch- there's precious little room behind the dash- it only moves out 2 inches.
And I think we had two problems- the first was bad points, and the second being in the starting circuit.
And we have no wiring diagram.
After doing some wire-tracing, I don't see an external resistor anywhere, but how do I tell if we have "resistance-wiring"?

Would some kind stranger here throw us a bone, about what's wrong here?

A harness replacement looks daunting. Hope that's not where we're heading. I stand to inherit this baby, and maybe right soon if he decides to throw it over the hill and get himself another.

No I think you nailed it, all the wiring is suspicious just about every picture
you posted could be the problem and with all the pictures I betcha you didn't
even show us the really good stuff. Seems like a lot of melted plastic wire
insulation going on there, electrical resistance becomes heat, get where I'm
going? Battery cable might of been the right size at one time but with all that corrosion and the stylish "emergency" ends they ain't big enough any more,
betcha where the ground bolts to the tractor frame is ugly too! Keep going and
eventually you'll burn the tractor to the ground then you won't have to worry
about changing a harness or straightening out the FIL's creativity,on the bright
side if the fire gets hot enough you'll burn the tires and all other non-metal
parts up so you'll get a little more per pound when it gets hauled to the
scrappers so China can turn it into cra9 for Wal-Mart.

I second that.... All that copper looks pretty ratty.

Corrosion creates resistance and resistance will create heat. The lower the source voltage the more the current to try and satisfy a load and enough heat will even change the temper of the copper. One directly effects the other creating a cascade effect... bad to worse.

This would be to include basic connections/connectors as well.

how strange...................i fought with my Dad AND his 450 all weekend trying to get it running. finally i told him to order a new wiring harness, all related ignition parts and cable and get it out of my shop until the new parts have arrived. i only felt like fighting it so long. his wires look just like yours. Tractor was bought new by his uncle and hasnt been used since the early 90's then just sat outside

Your wiring has a BUNCH of issues!

If it were mine I'd remove every last inch of the old wiring and the battery cables and replace with new. Anything less is only sticking a bandaid the problem. (If you're lucky it will only soon quit on you again; if you're less lucky your tractor will go up in flames!)

A reproduction wiring harness set + new battery cables will run $250 - 300. Or you can make your own for about a third of that. Either way it will be money well spent(!)

Thanks guys. I see a common theme here, and I sure don"t want him burning down his barn. I love the guy, but he"s helpless with maintenance/diagnostic work. He"s a horseman, not a farmer, so he only needs it for mowing his fields, dragging a snow blade, and pulling his manure-spreader, and he"s not mechanically-inclined.
I think I"ll go the "harness" route. I said "daunting", but I"m not too dumb to get this accomplished if I take my time.
Do they come with a good set of diagrams about what goes where? Any thoughts about where to find a reputable one? We won"t need lights, or the hour-meter, so maybe I can simplify it. Will a good wiring diagram tell me the respective wire-gauges, if I take a stab at doing it myself? I should find one of those.
Again, my appreciation.

(quoted from post at 20:04:25 06/24/12) Thanks guys. I see a common theme here, and I sure don"t want him burning down his barn. I love the guy, but he"s helpless with maintenance/diagnostic work. He"s a horseman, not a farmer, so he only needs it for mowing his fields, dragging a snow blade, and pulling his manure-spreader, and he"s not mechanically-inclined.
I think I"ll go the "harness" route. I said "daunting", but I"m not too dumb to get this accomplished if I take my time.
Do they come with a good set of diagrams about what goes where? Any thoughts about where to find a reputable one? We won"t need lights, or the hour-meter, so maybe I can simplify it. Will a good wiring diagram tell me the respective wire-gauges, if I take a stab at doing it myself? I should find one of those.
Again, my appreciation.

i buy ALL my wiring items from Brillman. very nice stuff, super nice guy, and good prices. he will have everything you need. ive used him for years for all my needs

www.brillman.com

Don't worry. With a new harness it will all work well and you will be pleased with the result. The tractor will look better and work. Most importantly it will be safe. I replaced all the wires on my Farmall M when a couple started to look a bit sad and now the ammeter works properly, the battery charges as it should and, on occasion, the Lucas starter motor will actually start it for me! Good luck.
SadFarmall

I don't know if any one offers a wiring harness already set up for an alternator but it would help you if you could find one like that rather than the original for the generator and regulator. The only other minor snag would be that you have a Lucas alternator rather than the more common Delco used as a replacement for the generator.

I did take the starter out to give it a gander. Spun freely by hand. Same problem after it went back in.
Appreciate the thought, though.

Those battery cables are a big part of the problem. Not only are they corroded and broken they are too small. Get some made up from"0" gauge cable, with soldered ends. No clamped connections.
Then buy a new wiring harness from Brillman.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back