load tires on Z-turn lawn mower

Dusty MI

Anyone ever load the tires on a Z-turn mower?
When I turn to go around a tree, the inside wheel tears up the lawn some, I'm thinking that maybe with some extra weight it would not do that as much.
I'm using a 61" Z-turn mower.

My 60 Gravely sure behaves better when both fuel tanks are full, I'd think filled tires would help. I'd want a professional opinion on whether or not it would tear up the hydro drives before I did it.

Dusty, I would think that extra weight out on the axle end would be just asking for one to break

We load a few tube type and tubless mower tires at the shop.

I have a valve that screws onto the valve stem for tube type tires and fluid pump for tractor tires to fill them with. You must add some fluid and "burp" the air out, add more fluid and repeat until full. You want the valve at the top when filling and only fill to just below the valve. That leaves an air space and allows you to check tire pressure without damaging a pressure guage or getting a face full of fluid.

Tubeless tires. I just break one side of the tire down. Then pour it as full as possible with fluid and reseat the bead. It helps to place a block of wood under each side of the tire so that you can push down on the rim to help seat. Use some soap or tire mounting compound to help with seating. . . . [i:d6acf46a5d]Word of caution. Filling tires this way can be messy when reseating the bead. For the high volume of air can cause the fluid to spray out from around the bead. . Wear eye protection.[/i:d6acf46a5d]

Use only full strength antifreeze mixed to give you about -20F protection.. Do not buy the premixed stuff. I prefer to use -20 winshield washer fluid and buy it in 55 gallon drums for the shop.

Edited to add.. I have not saw or heard of any drive train problems with loaded tires on mowers. Tractors nor ZTRs that I have loaded. The most common I fill are between 18-10-8 to a 23-10.5-12.

This post was edited by Mule Meat on 08/30/2021 at 04:41 pm.

Years ago tractor tires were loaded with chloride. Last I knew, sugar beat juice, is now used.

Not flaming you, but the weight is on the ground, not supported by the axle at all. If the machine was tipped so much that a wheel was off the ground, the filled tire still weighs much less than the mower. Jim

I've got an idea what about just simply slowing down just a bit if the wheel is coming off the ground or close to it. Would solve the problem. Even old tractors have to slow down for corners.

(quoted from post at 05:31:04 08/31/21) Years ago tractor tires were loaded with chloride. Last I knew, sugar beat juice, is now used.

Using Calcium chlorine to load tires went out in the 70's. To corrosive. Since then it was Antifreeze until the price got stupid. Now everyone is mostly using -20 Washer fluid.

Beet Juice is mainly used by manufacturers on new equipment. Local John deere dealer uses it to load the tires on new tractors once they are sold. I would not recommend using it. Check into what is used to lower the freezing point of beet juice down to -20.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back