Lol,couldn't believe what I was hearing on the phone

phillip d

A few years ago we hired a young fella,20 at the time.He started with us in april and quit in early august,2 weeks before grain harvest.He was great with the cows but breaked almost every piece of equipment he used,mostly just little stupid things.There was once though he totally demolished the disc mower though.It really wasn't his fault.It was a last minute rented standing field and he hit a rock after I asked him to cut it.When he brought it back,he was laughing his @ss off which is what ------ us off,instead of feeling terrible.There was a party in july and he just took the whole weekend off withoug asking or making arrangements as well.Afew weeks later he told me a neighbour went to see him and made him an offer he couldn't refuese and was leaving in 2 weeks.Come to find out later he begged the guy who really didn't need him to give him a job because he hated working with cows.Got over it all in time and talk to the guy now and again.He lasted at the next place 6 months and quit there.Went somewhere else for 6 months quit there too,using the same offer couldn't refuese story which was again a lie.Had several jobs he quit after that.
This lady called me today asking about him.He claimed to her he worked here a couple of years and has a girlfriend in Charlottetown (a nearby city to the lady's familie's farm).I informed her he worked here 3 months and quit and his girlfriend is going to colledge in Moncton(in another province) and is from Tyne Valley(small community near here) as I know this because he's good friends with our current employee.I told her he was wonderfull with the cattle,very rough on equipment and has had attitude issues.I gave her 4 more names of people he worked for in the last 3 years,there are more than that and suggested she call them and got their oppinion lol.Maybe I was hard on him to her,but I wasn't going to cover up for his lying to her,I did tell her he is good with cows.

Some times we do what we have to do:
I think we call tough love, and being honest.
I was raised that a mans hand shake and his honesty was a contract,thats all you needed:
But to day I see where some of that as gone by the way-side. But my self I still believe in the old hand shake and honesty:
JR.Frye

Man, did you leave yourself open for a huge lawsuit. This guy can now drag you into court for all the next jobs he applies for and doesn't get.

Never, EVER, make negative comments about a former employee. If you can't say anything positive, just confirm the dates of employment and LEAVE IT AT THAT.

Riot, I respectfully disagree, I've been in those situations, I think it's best to always tell the truth. Remember the cherry tree I once had a guy to quit me and had my service truck for a week using it on another farmer. His wife kept saying he was sick! The truth will always set you free!

I also disagree. If you tell the truth there is no basis for a lawsuit.

Stop being so paranoid about urban legends like that. I've stomped a mudhole in many former employees when others have called for a reference.

Would you want to hire a guy because his references all said he was fine only to find out he was a complete loser?

I stand on my original comment. Every place I've worked in Corporate America for the last 40 years has had the same policy of not commenting on former employees beyond confirming dates of employment.

In reality, sometimes what you don't say speaks loudest.

A person is not likely to be sued based on a verbal phone conversation, unless that person made a negative comment that was grossly untrue. I, personally, wouldn't say anything except in direct response to the question, and if negative, I would want to be able to document it. It gets to the point of hearsay. However, putting it in writing is another story. You would have to be very careful in phrasing your reply. Many times, whether verbally or in writing, the question will be asked "Would you hire this person again?" then you could respond truthfully, without elaboration. JMHO

Let him sue, when external_link and his bunch gets done with the farmers he won't get anything anyways. He can get in line behind the guys that want methane gases and dust controlled.

Many times an employee's exit file has a "Yes/No" question of eligibility for rehire.

Frankly, I've been around the block enough times, and hired and fired enough people, to be aware that failing on one job is not a definitive indication that someone will not excel in another situation or environment. If I've found an employee to be unsatisfactory, I see no reason to be vindictive and jeopardize the person's chance to do good elsewhere.

that is the problem right there. Instead of telling an employer that the applicant sucks, you instead just pass the buck and let the deadbeats off the hook.

Buy some stones, man.

I'm surprised at how few employers actually pick up the phone and call previous employers. We have about 60 people come and go every year and we only get about two or three phone calls to varify previous employment.

You can not be sued for telling the truth. You can be sued for lying, misrepresenting an employee (good or bad) can get you sued by the next employer or by your previous employer.

Its amazing what you'll learn about an employee when you just ask. I will agree the bigger the employer the less information they want to give - what do they care, the guy doesn't work for them anymore. Instead of calling the HR office I usually try to call their actual supervisor. All the HR office knows is if they guy still works there and they won't tell you why if he doesn't.

The fact the guy lied about his length of employment and a few other casual items should tell the woman all she needs to know about him.

"Never, EVER, make negative comments about a former employee. If you can't say anything positive, just confirm the dates of employment and LEAVE IT AT THAT."

Why? If you are stating the truth your former employer can sue you only to have it proven in a court of law he is a worthless so and so.

However it does help to have what you say documented (employee evaluations, exit review, etc...). The one area it does hurt is if you state "suspicions". If the guy had a work comp claim you can reveal the basic nature of the claim, you can't say "I think he was faking it", unless you went to court over it and proved it there. If he had poor attendance and you document the dates you can reveal that information, along with a poor attitude – if you wrote him up for it. If you claim “in general” he had a poor attitude you better be ready to back it up.

Had a case in Kansas where an employee assaulted his boss and put him in the hospital. When the next employer called to check with the previous employment they stayed quiet about the assault and his generally dangerous behavior. The man raped and killed a waitress at his next job, the new employer successfully sued the previous employer and there is now a law on the books requiring certain information be revealed to a prospective employer.

This is in Canada and we have a federal "Freedom of Information and Privacy Act". An employee is required to sign a release giving the employer permission to give out ANY information regarding their employment. This includes if the employee even worked there. An employee can ask for a reference letter if they prefer. You can be sued for slander but one of the big reasons for the privacy act is if someone was looking for you. An example; A woman leaves an abusive relationship and her ex is, pretending to be an employer, trying to locate her or cause her to possibly lose her job. The last thing she needs is an employer telling him where she works or where she moved to. The best thing to do is tell whoever is asking that you can't give out any employment information, regarding any employee, without a signed consent. Then the person asking could have the suspected former employee contact you. Lots of employers will bad mouth former employees even if they were fantastic. They could be upset the person left or could't find someone to replace them, etc. It's pretty sad how vindictive some employers can be. I'm not refering to you. Dave

I should add that a prospective employer should know that a signed consent form is required before even calling. If the former employee was a good employee and told the truth, they should have no problem signing a consent. If they don't sign a consent should tell a prospective employer all they need. It's not a bad thing. Dave

I understand what you are saying and why but - that perhaps is what is wrong with this country. Everyone goes crying, and no one stands up for the truth.

Your messages are just sad for this country and where it is headed.

--->Paul

Around here, "employee is not eligible for rehire" is the code words for "DON"T EVEN THINK ABOUT HIRING THIS PERSON."

Not allowed to make derogatory comments about a former employee, even if they weren't any good.
Wife was fired from a job because they were closing that depatment. They hired a head-hunter to come in and dump the employees first, so that they weren't liable for unemployment, etc. Head-hunter was fired after she did her duty. Took my wife two years to find another position, and this is in nursing field, where there is supposedly a shortage of eligible people. You can fire anyone if you look hard enough for reasons. In nursing, a med error or two is all they need. And med errors, are unfortunately all too common. all you have to do is document a screw up or there, and out the door. And which one of us, never screws up? I have a degree in administration, and though I have never been able to get my hands on it, I'm sure there is a book on steps to take to fire anyone, and see that they never get employed again.

It is usually a rule that farming does not follow the industrial guidelines i.e; trucking, work hours, overtime pay and etc. at least here in the US so my guess is you're free to express your opinion of this person's work ethic. Conversely in industry we are only allowed to say they showed up for work every day on time and missed X days of work. When I get those calls I usually tell them whether or not I would rehire them if asked by the way which Iam legally allowed to do. It's all in the wording and the question. It's ask don't tell. Does that sound famaliar?

Unfortunately, riot 14 is right. I've worked in management at big and small companies. The HR rules are pretty clear on references. "Worked here from --- to ---- in the job of -----". Any "subjective" comments are off limits. However, the lawyers who take these cases are looking for deep pockets. They won't waste their time going after a farmer. Now if it was ConAgra or something like that, that's different.

The application will tell you in a heart beat if the person has held a job for any lenght of time also gaps in employment is a red flag along with numerious job in a short period of time. The clerks are the best story tellers. The goodbye line for me is "I will do you a good job".

Reading the goodbye letter to an employee who kept saying it is a bad time to be fired. I said it was never a good time to let go.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back