Looking for info on a four row planter and a grain drill...

Will Herring

Just looking for the usual information about some equipment I'm looking at:

1) What exactly is it?
2) Can I still get parts for it?
3) What's it worth?
4) Rough weight estimate?

For the record, these are not my photos, as these implements are packed away in a barn and haven't been out in the elements for probably 20 years. It's not my property so it's hard for me to get to so I can look at them, but just curious.

First up is a four row Allis Chalmers planter (mounted -- may be snap coupler, may be bolt through for regular lift arms, am unsure). It looked just like you put two of the two rows together with some giant bar and mounted it to the tractor -- but it looks factory, not homebrew. Definitely for a WD style tractor.

kk2XsD3.jpg

Second is what I believe is a John Deere Van Brunt grain drill... I'm not quite sure on the dimensions (waiting for a response on that one for how wide it is and how many rows it plants), but it looks most similar to this. Definitely looks just like this steel color, not so much of a John Deere green or anything.

EDIT: Just got some more info on the drill. Apparently it's a 10 foot drill with 14 discs (i assume rows?) on it. And definitely says John Deere Van Brunt on it.

eB8Wjf5.jpg

Thats a JD modle 'B' grain drill those things are
worth $1ooo any day Still good drills to this day
Corn planter?Could be anywhere from scrapiron to
$500

Yes it is a John Deere Van Brunt drill it is the drill I bought at auction, Did you get the picture off of this site?

The corn planter is just called a WD planter, it has no number
identifier. Plates are interchangeable with old style JD plates like a
290 uses.

Got information on the drill -- it has 14 discs and is 10 foot wide. Says John Deere Van Brunt on it.

I just grabbed these pictures off of google image search so I had something to reference as it was too dark in the barn to get a good photo with my camera.

So about $1000 for the drill and $500 for the planter, eh? And can still get parts? Sounds pretty reasonable.

Any idea what these would weigh in case I go pick 'em up on a trailer? The planter looks like it might weigh more than a 3 bottom plow.

A plow will weigh more than the planter.If the
loader will lft it,the trailer will carry it.The
planter probably weighs less than 500 lbs.The
drrll,1000 lbs. you could carry each one on a
single axle trailer...

(quoted from post at 00:22:11 04/02/14) Got information on the drill -- it has 14 discs and is 10 foot wide. Says John Deere Van Brunt on it.

I just grabbed these pictures off of google image search so I had something to reference as it was too dark in the barn to get a good photo with my camera.

So about $1000 for the drill and $500 for the planter, eh? And can still get parts? Sounds pretty reasonable.

Any idea what these would weigh in case I go pick 'em up on a trailer? The planter looks like it might weigh more than a 3 bottom plow.

Will - that planter pic you grabbed - belongs to Don Bradley who lives about 30 minutes east of KC. It used to be mine but I sold it to Don 2 years ago and he rebuilt it with parts he had picked up. It is an Allis-Chalmers Snap-Coupler Drill Planter. Parts like the bins/hoppers you'll have to find used off other units but some parts like the internal finger parts in the bottom of the seed units are still available from AGCO. I'd say the planter weights in the neighborhood of 1200 lbs. Mike

Measure the distance between the seed discs and mutiple by the number of seed drops; that will give you the effective length of the drill.

Some farmers used drills with 6" row spacing; others used 7" spacing. I think there were other row spacings up to 14" in various parts of the country.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back