looks arent always the golden ticket.

Anonymous-0

I have seen this several times over the years.you go to a farm sale and there's, lets say 3 H's there, all have "ok" tires, but one is painted and the other 2 dont have any paint, but their not all pitted and rusty.now when I look at a tractor I always examine it like a docter, like checking the water pump for play, check the steering play,front wheel bearings, gas tank, how much wear the clutch pedal has,rims,see if the drawbar has been doubled up broken and welded,and so on and so on.now in this case, the PAINTED H started up and ran, but not good, the front end was shot, and so was the water pump,magneto ignition, had the old style front wheels, no weights, boarderline rims, and the clutch pedal had seen alot of use. The other 2 H's just turned over they wouldnt run, but they were in very good shape mechanically. Needless to say I left the auction with 2 H's for less than half of what the painted H brought, which was $2300. and all it took to get my H's running was your typical rebuild the carburetor, and new plugs,points, and condensor. maybe this only happens in my area,because of people that want a sharp looking tractor, but dont want to do any of the work, just let their pocketbook do all the talking, but thats a whole different story. so what im asking is why do so many people let the paint suck them in to thinking the tractor is worth so much? when in reality in this case the painted H's brothers were at the same auction with the same people, but brought far far less just because they didnt have paint and wouldnt quite run at the time. im not complaining about this, i just wanted to get it out there, because ill take advantage of this scenario all day long!!

I have bought "painted to sell" tractors, not because of the paint, but because it was the only one there that I wanted. If given the choice (which won't happen) I would pay LESS for a painted tractor. Because I restore them and the lousy paint job has to come off anyway. People "paint to sell" because they are hiding defects and there are a lot of suckers out there.

Went to view an auction a week ago Saturday... had a "restored" C advertized. I didn't even stick around to see it sell or even hear it run, first because there was a gas can with a little gas in it sitting there along with jumper cables. Then the "restored" was a coat of red paint over scratches, dents, grease, etc. I never heard what it brought, but I was really turned off by the way it looked.

There is an auctioneer in my area who has about all but lost his business in recent years. He used to get most all the big farm auctions, and then started cutting corners and getting greedy. He has ran a lot of people off who were buying equipment by falsely representing it. Last auction of his I went to, he advertised a VAC Case as a restored parade tractor. It had no battery, popped out of 2nd and 3rd gear, no brakes, dented all over,tires were all shot, and I am pretty sure they painted it by throwing a five gallon pail at it from 15',

I much rather buy a tractor in its working clothes than the one with an 'aerosol overhaul'.That paint covers a "multitude of sins".

to me the original paint and dent free is worth twice the money.lots of times i prefer that they dont start them to get a better deal. just got these two for 450.00 each. got the super six running with just some mag. work. the farmall md is stuck... but not for long.
a80094.jpg

a80095.jpg

When i was jocking tractors you do not know how many 706 gasser i bought for not much more then you paid for one H and about 70 percent of the time the only thing it needed was the charging system worked on and they all came out of the dead row . When they would start the tractor sale the crew would go around and start all the tractors and back then there could be 5-600 tractors in the sale I would watch them start them and watch them bring the tractors in to the ring , if one of them died in line they did not mess around it got yanked out of line and back to the dead row it went for the next sale Ya took your chances as ya did not know if the T/A's were out or if rev. driven gear was chipped but it was like this how lucky do you feel. Also learned that never BUY a tractor that has a pedigree hanging on the side in plastic. cause you were about to get screwed big time , don't ask how i know this.That was a 3000 dollar tuition payment to the school of hard knocks.

Around here it depends on the tractor. A bet to heck utility can go sky high. Last year they sold a 8N, bad tires, dents and dings all over, missing the grill and smoked. Got 1250 for it. The implements went for nothing. I got a 7 foot 3 point cultivator for 85 and a 6 foot tandum disk for 125.

Rick

First of all, if its really a nice tractor why are you putting it in an auction. To me a really nice tractor will sell itself. And around my way all the auctioners just move the tractors from one auction to another unless it goes high. If it goes cheap your not getting it cause they will run it up and move it to another auction. Once in awhile you can find a good deal but not often in my opinion. I found a deal about 3yrs ago on a 400 farmall. Painted up nice with new tires on it. Never heard it run but I wanted the tires so I got in at 1900 and 2100 it was mine. Tires were worth half that much and found out it had power steering rebuilt motor with big bore and cam work, new TA, all with less than 50 hours on it when I bought it. I got lucky on that one.

You just never know at an auction, my buddy bought a M that ran kinda, had new paint,new gas tank and 4 new tires. He had the auction company deliver it to the shop, the only thing wrong was the owner had dropped a boat load of money on this M, AND COULD NOT GET IT TO run RIGHT(sorry about the cap lock) Wires were crossed, I fixed it before we unloaded it.

I think you answered your own question.

You said the painted one ran and I assume they started it at the auction.

I would pay more for a running H than a non running one no mather the paint. You lucked out and only needed a tune up to run. What if it needed an overhaul to run?

Gary

(quoted from post at 18:35:35 08/23/12) First of all, if its really a nice tractor why are you putting it in an auction.

Um, because it was a farm sale...

Farmer died/retired, and the farm equipment is being sold.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back