Losing bucket teeth P156 style

markct

I bought a bucket for my mini excavator last year, 12" bucket with three P156 style shanks and teeth, these are the type with a 3/8 roll pin driven down from the top to retain the tooth. Did some trenching with it and all was fine, then handling rocks with the thumb I lost a tooth, when I went to replace it I realized that the 3/8 roll pins slid thru with very little resistance, apparently the holes are sloppy fit, this was new not wore out or anything. So I bought 10mm roll pins to use instead since they are a bit bigger than 3/8 so fit a little tighter figured problem solved. Well I still lose teeth way too often, never happened when digging always handling wood or rocks with the thumb, although I probably do that more often than dig. Any tricks or ideas? I thought about welding on a washer over each end but then it a hassle to change teeth to different type or pin on a smooth edge. Figured someone must have a better idea!

Tried that, but they break at the thread occasionally since they stick out, and a half day of digging nearly wears the heads off.

Have you tried putting another roll pin inside the 3/8 pin? Weld a washer on one side of alternate pins...see which will fall out.

My solution. The shank of a grsd 8 bolt should do well. use a 5/8 drill bit and make a counter sink in both the inside hole and outside. Cut a grade 8 bolt to be about half a diameter longer than the hole, so that it sticks out. Put the assembly on an anvil, and beat the ends into the countersink. Heating it with a torch will make it easy if the hammering seems too hard. Jim

Good idea on the double roll pins I'm going to try that, trying to avoid welding on covers that wear off fast and make it hard to change teeth.

I run a 420 cat backhoe digging mud,rock and changing crossties on the track.Really put the teeth in a bind a lot.pins don't hold for long,I use grade 8 bolts and cut off the excess with a torch right at the nut.The jagged torch cut prevents the nut coming off.if the bolt is even 3/8 inch too long it will break right off.Been doing this for a long time it's the only thing that works short of welding the s--- out of it.

Countersink the tooth? They are very hard of course that's not likely to happen unless I use cheap teeth, which at the rate I lose them I might as well be lol!

I may have to go that route, I handle stuff more than dig and it seems that teeth don't like that.

had same problem on my hoes, usually shanks are worn to much to hold, don't take much wobble to work the pins, we just started welding them

Markct,
FYI, my terramite came with a 12 bucket, 3 teeth. I haven't lost any teeth. Don't work in rock that much. I wonder if we have the same bucket and what would they cost. I'll take a close look and see how mine are attached. I also have an 18 inch bucket, which I don't use.
geo.

Like Ohio Jim said the shanks wear. Being a little smaller there is play which is requiring whatever you use to hold them to work a lot harder. I finally took my bucket to a heavy equipment dealer and had them cut the shanks off and put some real ones on. End of problem.

This was a brand new bucket! Bought thru
eBay not directly from manufacturer but
still brand new never seen dirt, shanks
are not worn

This is the bucket geo, love it for handling logs rocks etc with the curved front, and can dig like a shovel in very tight places, just can't keep teeth on!

Maybe this time
a245919.jpg

I would weld the top of the roll pin to the tooth and leave the bottom alone. By the time the weld wears off, it will probably be time to replace the tooth anyway. Unless you are using it commercially, it will be years before you wear the teeth out.

There is a 'double roll' roll pin that is the spring steel rolled up nearly solid, not the big hole in the middle. I don't know their real name. They aren't stocked much, but are available.

Don't know if that will help, but an option.

Paul

Hi After looking at your picture and the pins looking like regular roll pins my guess is the pins are brittle due to the hardness of them, and the slight bit of slop even in the new teeth just breaks them up. they don't just fall out whole. My buddy has a MF backhoe loader thats worn out. His bucket teeth are held by a pin that is 2 outer steel halves and a rubber piece in the middle.
When you bang them in they contract some and expand tight in the hole. He's not loosing teeth and last time I looked they were so worn on the fittings they all moved about 1/2 inch. I wonder if that type pin would work better, as they can flex in the middle a bit. I just googled something like excavator bucket teeth pins, and they came up in the images.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back