Lowering a first-gen Dodge-Cummins truck ?

LJD

Anybody ever tried to lower the rear of their truck?

My favorite "work-horse" is my 92 Dodge W250. 4WD, extended cab, long bed, Cummins intercooled-turbo 5.9 diesel, five-speed Getrag, etc.

Problem is - it's overly high in back. 4"-5" higher in back then in front when empty. It's caused many problems over the years. Now - I just got a different truck camper and cannot back into my barn with a 10' 4" ceiling. It is no problem with my Ford 1994 F250 4WD,j diesel, ex-cab, long-bed. It's 4" lower.

I'm wondering why Dodge did this? Same truck with regular cab is 2" to 3" lower. With the extended cab - Dodge stuck in 6" high cast-iron riser blocks between the axles and springs. Looks the same as on my 1969 Power Wagon.

I'd hate to cut these blocks in half and then find out I ruined handling or something. Anyone else ever tried this?

Hot rodders have been lowering cars with lowering blocks since the '40's. I suppose the only problem could be the pinion angle, but my recollection of the situation under a Dodge is that there is plenty of leeway in that regard.

Get a set of blocks from the lower truck. Will need bolts, etc, so get the whole mess.

If it doesn't work, re=install the original parts.

You are right should be better with the shorter blocks. I have a 91 reg cab diesel, and it sets a little lower in the rear than the front. Should make your pinion angle better.

Lowering a truck is not a problem,just put shorter blocks in,and shorter shocks,if you can find the blocks from a standard cab would be great,if I remember right the wheel base is the same on both trucks unless you have the long bed.the pinion angle will be fine,when you raise them is when you have to change brake hoses and shocks and worry about handling.

Dodge isnot the only one to do this on there 3/4 and ton trucks. Ford did it as well. Not sure with chevy. The reason they are raised in the back is usually do to having a set of heavier or helper springs in the back or they will add ablock to raise the height so that when you put a load in the back it will sit level or close to level with a manufactures load weight (not what we actually can put in them or haul with them) but its like that so you dont have as much a chance to loose sterring ability. Its silly and I hate the looks of it but understand why i guess.

Thanks for all replies. I think the only parts that might not work as-is are the shocks. Might be too long.

I'm wondering if the extended cab trucks are higher then regular cab models due to ground-clearance problems? The longer a truck is - between the axles, the more apt it is to bottom out in the center (where the transfercase is).

Thats an interesting point. cant say on dodges but I know the 99 and up fords be it reg cab or ext cab seem to be that way but I think the ext cabs are just longer and more noticible to me. I had an 01 250 single cab I put a levelling kit on cause it drove me nuts havin a truck sittin unlevel like that. Then my last 250 I had was a 04 ext cab with a sick liter and it was like that as well. I have noticed Fords are worse about it than dodges or atleast more noticble to me. Ive got an 01 ram ext cab 4x4 cummins now. I got tired of my 6.0 bein in the shop and pourin money in it so I went cummins and bought an older one I dint have to worry so much about scratches. Any way it sits a little off level but not nearly as bad as my 250's I had

I think he just wanted to get the rear down to the the same height as the front- so not really "lowering", more like "levelling".

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back