Manure spreader sizing and type

Hogleg

I have 9 head of cattle and 7 horses, so manure is becoming an issue. What size and type of spreader would work for me?

My ground is flat. I have a loader tractor to load the manure. I see all types and sizes avail, some in pretty poor condition and asking top dollar. Some not. Do I need PTO driven or will ground driven work here? Looking for good used, age does not matter that much as long as it is a quality spreader that does the job. Thinking around $500 to $1000 to spend.

Basically I am wanting to move the manure and use something more than a teaspoon at a time, but not wanting to load the whole amount and take one pass. What is the right combination of size and type to make the job happen in an afternoon without a lot of hassle.

John

Might depend as much on how much tractor you have to pull it. I have an old New Idea #19 which is PTO driven and about 120 Bushel (I think). Best $500 I ever spent on this little hobby place. Nice match to my 9N, but usually end up pulling it with the larger 3600. I wanted a PTO driven spreader so I could back up to a pile and have it unload since fields would get pretty rutted up around here during winter and spring.

Usually fill it during the week with 5 stalled horses and empty it on the weekend.

Deals are out there, but I looked for quite a while before finding this one here in South Central PA. Saw several similar that asking price was north of $1000.

Good Luck,

Kirk

I have a small one and ya I wanted one for years so watched the auctions a lot. This one cost me a whooping $5 yes I said $5. Had the have a little bit of TLC done to it like oil up the chains and put in a couple cross bars on the floor chain but that was it. It even had 9 sheet of roofing metal in it and a couple of cables with clevises so what I am saying is watch the auctions and you can find one cheap. Me I pile most of the manure I have up and let it compost down and then use it to make raised beds for gardening makes gardening easy and the plants love it

I have a 35hp Ford 2000 3cyl and a 2550 JD Diesel 65hp. The JD has the loader so the Ford will probably have the spreading duty...

John

What tractor size do you have? Spreader needs to fit the tractor.

Pto is way better than ground drive, but - depends on your tractor.

most folks are like the other reply - about a 100 bu size fits an average small tractor - not compact, but actual tractor - and will do well. Getting hard to find in good shape for a bargin, need a good floor, and good floor chain so it doesn't bust up on you. Don't use them to haul dirt, as dirt doesn't slide as easy as manure, dirt will bust up a good one.

--->Paul

Not sure if your asking me or one of the others but if me I have no idea of what brand the one I got for $5 is. It has a single drum type part that flings the chit and when doing horse apples at times you wish you had a helmet on since you can in fact get hit in the head. I have used it on and off for years but have not used it in the past 2 or 3 years since I have been composting most of the stuff I have

I suppose ground driven would work, but I would prefer pto driven.

We have 2 of these NI 210 flail types, one with an apron to hold back the manure, one without.

For that amount of livestock, I think one this size would equate to 1 load per day, I do not recall the bushel capacity. Go figure too, we used to sell em, I believe its a 210 model, there is a different model for what is on the end of the box, be it a flail or beater, I'd have to look again.

NI216001.jpg

Forgot to add,this NI was about $1000.00, and in great shape, previous owner did take good care of it, I just recently saw one similar and a tandem new holland, needing some work,(wood) mostly floor, for about the same price. I think that is reasonable for one, maybe a little more if in excellent shape. Not bad on maintenance, though you do have to make sure to keep it greased regularly and check inside the cover where the chains, sprockets and gears are.

I'll agree with everything that has been said but with one opinion of my own. The flail spreader like the one pictured take power like teenage boys take food. I had an older version of the NI 210 and my WC didn't really care for it (30 ish horse) My WD that makes a bit under 50 tolerated it, but it took some real slow web speeds for the matted down bedding and old round bale stuff. If you are going to spread mostly fluffy stuff then you'd be fine. Anything heavy and wet and I think you'd prefer the traditional beater style ones.
AaronSEIA

There are a lot of PTO spreaders that you cannot do that with. A lot of them only run the beaters off the PTO while the web is still ground driven.

I don"t have enough experience with enough equipment to know that, learn something new every day. I just have assumed that they all work similar to mine. Glad I happened to find one like it since that is what I wanted/needed.

Kirk

You want a PTO driven spreader. Your Ford 3000 would pull a 100-125 bushel spreader with not problems. The $1000 top end may be hard to meet for a descent spreader.

Here is New Holland 329 advertised for $1550 in MI. http://www.external_link/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=5562736&

Here is a real nice New Idea 201 with over beater and looks like it was always shed-ed. Asking price $1600

http://www.external_link/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=5816695&

These will give you a few to look at. Remember that Tractorhouse is usually always 10-20 % higher priced than cash buy price. You did not say where you are from so that limits us a little.

I have actually had better luck buying used cheaper spreaders at dealers rather than auction. The dealers just want to clear out something they can't afford to work on and many part time people won't to a dealer but will hit the auctions. Example is there is a real nice NH 520 with end gate at Concordia, MO at a dealer. It needs the floor worked on it, has a wood floor. They are pretty easy to fix or repair. He is asking $1600. That spreader with a good floor will bring double that.

1st. If your tractor has live PTO..then a PTO spreader gives you so much more flexibility. You can unload a PTO spreader in a pile off to the side during the months when you can not drive on the fields without making big ruts and ruining your fields. However a PTO spreader gives you the option to field spread when the ground is firm.

2nd. I have 2 medium sized old spreaders, a MF 18 and a NI 19 both PTO. Capacity is about 100 bushels...never measured it exactly. Does about 8 to 10 horse stalls. Paid $1000, for one and $650 for the other...both ugly but sound and operative..both good buys.

Pull either easily with a 40 HP massey or a 65 hp JD.

I just would not waste my time on a ground drive spreader unless you live in an area where muddy weather is never a problem.

I think you would be in need of a 75 to 100 bu spreader. You can find New Idea, Case, JD, MM, Oliver and the list grows. I have seen lots of them out there in the price range you are thinking of. I saw a New Idea #12 ground driven for $500 that needed a few boards that was in good condition. Ground driven or pto are both good for what you are looking for just what you prefer to use. The biggest thing with any spreader is to keep the bed oiled, Dont leave it sit with manure in it for long periods and keep it in the dry. Here is a pic of my new Case 95 I got 2 months ago, This might be what your looking for. Bandit
a49210.jpg

Just a tip for you if you are not familiar with this. If using a spreader with the apron chain on the foor in freezing weather, make sure the apron chain is loose and not frozen down before loading or you will break the chain. Just take a fork and get it under the slats and lift up on the handle to break the chain loose. I learned this from my dad about 70 yrs ago. Also, in cold weather you must always unload it the same day.

JDSeller,

Live in Salem, Ill.

Wow, that 520 is a pretty nice unit. That is about 275 miles one way for me so I think I will keep looking a bit closer, but you really helped out on some tactics for looking.

Thanks,
John

Those flail beater New Ideas are hard to beat. I wish I could find another one but theres not many left around here.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back