Massey 135 heavy clutch pedal

I have a Massey 135 just changed the clutch but struggling to press the clutch pedal to get into 2nd stage. You literally need to stand on it. Any help would be amazing.

Was clutch assenmbly set / Installed as per MF Specifications..???

Color of Coil SPRINGS in Clutch assembly ?....and number of Springs in Clutch assembly?

I'm away from my summer residence at this time...

And yes, other clutch assembly have stronger springs as well as more springs and will fit your Tractor.

POSSIBLY the incorrect Clutch assembly was installed?

IF there is an Inspection plate at the 6 O'clock (bottom) position of the Transmission,remove plate,count number of coil springs in clutch assemble,as well as color of springs.
cvphoto165729.jpg

cvphoto165730.jpg

cvphoto165731.jpg

cvphoto165732.jpg

cvphoto165733.jpg

cvphoto165734.jpg

It was 12 red springs on the clutch that was fitted to the tractor, the one that was taking out also had 12 springs but they were not red. 1st stage is fine but trying to get into 2nd stage is a struggle.

I think on the 135 you should only have 6 red springs as
the red ones are the stiffest. See what others say.

MF used different main clutch coil springs AND PTO Bellville spring for clutch apply pressure. Sounds to me like you got the MF 165 or 175/180 assembly instead of the
lighter 135 assembly. The 165/175/180 models have more pedal leverage too. The 135 does not use the same linkage as pedal is directly clamped to the release bearing
shaft, so even with the lighter spring sets the 135 pedal pressure is higher than the larger tractor models have.

(quoted from post at 04:36:52 11/01/23) MF used different main clutch coil springs AND PTO Bellville spring for clutch apply pressure. Sounds to me like you got the MF 165 or 175/180 assembly instead of the
lighter 135 assembly. The 165/175/180 models have more pedal leverage too. The 135 does not use the same linkage as pedal is directly clamped to the release bearing
shaft, so even with the lighter spring sets the 135 pedal pressure is higher than the larger tractor models have.

I have tried fitting 2 clutches with the 6 red springs but the pedal is still heavy all clutches that were purchased was for Massey 135 tractors.

As John Deere D asked, did you do all the pressure plate and clutch adjustments as shown in the manual?

The big unknown here is just what is a heavy pedal? They can have a firm push to disengage. My feel for that and yours may well be different. Do you know of another around that is working correctly you can compare yours to?

I doubt it's the MAIN CLUTCH springs, more like the PTO BELLVILLE spring is much too heavy for the 135 direct clutch pedal to release on the second stage. The 135 needs the LIGHTEST Bellville spring available installed for the PTO to release correctly.

Where did you buy your new clutch? I pulled off the original clutch with 12 yellow springs. This site only offers one with 12 red.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back