Massey 55 Re-Power - Clutch Question

DanielW

Hi all,

This might be better posted in the Implement Alley forum, but perhaps it's ok here.

I have a Massey 555 with the garbage JD382 that's been giving trouble off and on. Pulled the head off this winter to find a very worn
engine with cracks between the sleeves (not too concerned) and in the head (slightly more concerning). I was going to rebuild it, have the
block furnace brazed and the head fixed, but the rebuild parts for these are ridiculously priced and hard to find. And, if I did rebuild,
I'd still have a 382 - not ideal for the sawmill/threshing work I use it for as it's an unbalanced engine, and an engine that has an ok
reputation at best.

I have a Detroit 3-53 power unit that came with one of my circular mills that I've since converted to PTO. It has a hand-clutch on it. I
know a repower is a pain, but it seems like the ideal candidate to drop in and make this a usable tractor. My only question is regarding
the hand-clutch: I have no problem fabricating/machining linkages and parts to make this work with the clutch pedal, but I don't know if
the clutches in these power units are suited for the more frequent stops/starts you get driving a tractor around. If anyone has any
thoughts/experience on the matter it wold be greatly appreciated.

I know Centash had a 3-71 in a 55 which I asked about a few years ago. If you happen to see this, did you have any problems with clutch
longevity?

Thanks kindly,

Daniel

I only had mine a few years, no clutch problems. Oliver's and Cockshutts used those units as well, so I think the clutch should be able to stand up to normal field work. On mine, the previous owner had a slave cylinder on the clutch and used a automotive brake master cylinder mated to the clutch pedal to activate the clutch...no linkages needed, nice clean job. Mine was a 3-71 and the engine tub was cut lengthwise and widened about 6 inches so the engine could be mounted low enough to have a direct drive to the trans input shaft. The front axle was replaced with a truck axle for easier steering as well. It was an awkward brute, but sure turned a lot of heads!

Good luck with your conversion!

This is the only picture I have of it.

Ben
cvphoto49273.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back