Massey Ferguson 180 Multipower/Transmission Issue

Ive got a Massey Ferguson 180 multipower serial number 9AII573. Regardless of if Im in high/low range or high/low multipower, whenever im moving up hill the tractor will slow and come to a stop for up to 10 seconds before it starts moving again. It just has no power when moving even up the slightest slope. In the lower range/gears it will keep moving, but you can tell its struggling. I replaced the multipower/transmission filter (the one in front of the radiator), it did have some metal shavings in it. I also replaced all the hydraulic fluid. The multipower switch is engaging. I can feel it engage and slow down or speed up. In high multipower, it engine breaks going down hills. The auxiliary hydraulics seem to working, as well as the three point. Is the hydraulic pump bad? Or could it be something else? If I need to split it, thats fine, I just dont want to split it if it could be something else. Thanks everyone in advance!

Sounds like the flywheel MAIN clutch is slipping, NOT transmission trouble. On level ground, using Lo MP drive the tractor in hi range first or second gear at about 1500 RPM and stand on BOTH brakes HARD. If it stops that way then transmission is OK and tractor needs split for flywheel clutch repair.

I just did what Dieseltech recommended and sure enough it didnt budge. It was stopped dead in its tracks. Ill be splitting the tractor this evening and Ill post the findings. Thanks!

Update: I split the tractor and found the flywheel clutch plate was in desperate need of replacing. I ended up just buying the entire clutch kit and replaced everything. Not too bad of a job. But its up and running great now.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back