McCormick W4 super engine seized in cold weather

Duster_123

New User
Hello I have a 53 w4 super the engine seems to hit a spot when trying to start and locks up, cant budge it with hand crank and only happens when the weather is near freezing in the summer it runs fine.

Just pulling this out of left field. Will it turn over if you take the spark plugs out? If it does, are you getting any anti freeze
out of the spark plug hole?

Hello, yes Ive had all the plugs out and still wont budge, if got it unstuck a couple times by jacking up the tire and rocking the tire back and forth but it will get stuck at that same spot next time it turns over, no antifreeze in cylinders

Have a Ford 841S that did that and I fund out it ad water in the transmission and when below freezing it would freeze and then the engine would not turn over unless you pushed the clutch down but it you let up on the clutch the engine would stall

Duster, welcome to YT! If it is doing what I think it is your starter
drive gear is getting locked or jammed into the flywheel ring gear, common problem on IH stuff of that era. Sometimes if you are on a fairly hard level surface you can put it in 5th gear and push the rear tires back a little. Then you will here a little clunk noise from the starter that will be the drive popping loose an returning to position. You can do it by turning the fan backwards as well, some guys just do not like to reach in there, always make sure the ignition is off when-if you do that. As a last resort you can loosen the starter attachment bolts and wiggle the starter and you will hear the clunk. Replace the drive with an updated one from YT an it will likely fix the problem unless the flywheel ring gear is really chewed up. See link.
https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/Farmall-W4_Starter-Drive-Improved-Style_565549NEW.html

Edit to add: There is also brand specific topic sections on this forum. So in the future it may be best to post on the IH forum to get a better response. The following describes how to view the other topic sections of the forum. In this forum there are 2 viewing styles Classic and Modern. When you are inside a post in Modern at the upper left you see in blue font Yesterdays Tractor Forum Index if you click that it will show you all the topic sections. In Classic view when viewing a post at the top left underlined is ..Discussion Forums.. clicking that allows you to view the entire list of available topic sections.

This post was edited by used red MN on 04/17/2022 at 04:49 pm.

Hello thanks for the information, I tried it with the starter motor
removed and turned with the hand crank and locks up again,
also tried with plugs removed, the clutch pressed in, also
checked transmission oil and replaced old engine oil. Rocking
it in 5th gear will eventually free it up until it hits that spot
again turning over.

That is a true puzzler, I was almost certain the common starter lock up problem was going to be the answer. The much odder part is that you say it can be worked free by turning it in 5th gear and that it has ran fine in summer in warmer temperatures. To clarify you say you tried it with the clutch pushed down, that means the clutch was blocked down or pushed down by another person while you were trying to turn it? If not there is a possibility if it is equipped with a hydraulic Lift-all belly pump that that is low on fluid and binding in some way. Another question is that if it has a live hydraulic pump mounted on the engine? I am not sure if those were put on W4s, if it has one does that system have fluid in it? Last question would be how much do you run the tractor. If at least a couple hours a year I think the following possibility would have shown itself by now, I am talking about a problem in the gear train in the front of the engine. Usually problems in there have noises associated with them.

Edit: After a little more poking around I see that it was not an option for the W models to have a Lift-all belly pump, so that is out.

This post was edited by used red MN on 04/17/2022 at 10:50 pm.

When weather is warm (not below
freezing), and when tractor has sat
for a spell (atleast several days),
crack drain plugs open to where they
will drip. All drain plugs, except for
coolant. If any water drips out (out
of places that should be oil), then
drain that water out. The transmission
and rear end cases on these, were
notorious for accumulating rain water
and condensation over the years. Not
un-common to drain a couple gallons of
water out, if it's never been drained
for a long long time.

In order for this to be your problem,
obviously water (ice) would have to be
froze to something that turns. Might
turn free, until it meshes with
something such as a gear.

That's about the only thing that comes
to my mind, if only in cold weather,
and it is not the starter itself
jamming.

Hello yes I had a helper press in clutch while trying with the hand crank, the tractor dose have a live hydraulic pump mounted on the side. Ive had the engine valve cover off and all seems in good shape and well lubricated. The sticking spot is only in one area when turning over and takes a good amount of rocking to free up and it maybe runs a handful of hours in the summer towing a trailer.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back