MF 35 - Trans Flush - New Fluid Options

Purchased a 1960 MF 35, going to give her a full service. Trans fluid has some water in it (milky color), so I am going to drain, flush, and replace.

I've read to flush it with diesel, maybe using a pump sprayer, and then scrub out what gunk I can. Does that make sense?

I found SAE 90 GL-1 at NAPA, but it's running $120 for 5 gallons. TSC has SAE 90 GL-1 for $90 for 2 gallons. From what I've read, the GL-4 and GL-5 stuff will either destroy the trans or could be perfectly fine; seems like everyone has an opinion. I don't mind spending $250 on fluid, but wondering if there was anything I am missing here.

Thanks! This tractor is my first, but I come from a family of mechanics and have a decent knowledge of small engine and automotive repair.

Good morning....
I own my parents 1963 MF 35 that has been in the family since new.
When it cam time to replace the Hydraulic lift pump.....after a thorough cleaning, new pump and added 15-40 Engine oil
to Diff, Transmission compartment.

Good bad,right or wrong, I'm totally satisfied.

North Western Alberta Canada. May to October temp, 75F > 90F Ambient. Tractor never used / operated November > April.

Bob..
cvphoto130917.jpg

cvphoto130919.jpg

cvphoto130920.jpg

cvphoto130921.jpg

Wow, thanks for the photos. Do you think it's worth pulling the lift cylinder to clean out the trans? It does not seem too complicated.

The 3 point lift works, but I could only test it generally and not with any weight on it. Thanks again.

What I ended up doing with my 202, same
basic tractor:

I changed the oil twice, waste of time.

I pulled the dipstick cover off and the
bottom was full of sludge. I ended up
rigging up a small transfer pump and
flushing diesel through the transmission
and differential. Then I ran the tractor
about 5 hours with cheap UTF. I refilled
with 5 gallons 85/90 and 2 gallons of
Lucas. I don't put much thought in the GL4
destroying the brass.

As an update, I was able to find a 20% coupon at NAPA and went ahead with the SAE 90 GL-1 gear oil. I let the trans drain for two days, leaving some lovely latte art in my drain pans. If you can jack the right side of the tractor up a little bit, it helps, since the plugs are on the left side. I flushed it with ~2g of diesel, and used a leaf blower and air compressor to blow fluid out of it.

Surprisingly, everything inside looked great, and there was only minimal gunk and sediment. There was a little bit of metal shavings on the drain plugs, but nothing terrible. The filter was okay as well. Note: do not forget to put it back in; having to drain out a couple of gallons of fluid to put back in the filter is not fun.

I did pull the shifter cover, since I had jammed the shifters in place. That made flushing and filling a lot easier. I also pulled both side covers.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back