MH 102 Senior LOCKED UP TRANSMISSION

[color=black:5faac3729c]I recently got my Massey Harris 102 Senior running and driving, it has been sitting for around 8 years and it started and drove just fine but the issue with it is I put it in reverse and backed it into the shed and I came back the next morning and started it and couldn't get into any gear except fourth when I tried moving it in fourth it stalled and died so I tried pulling the tractor out of the shed in neutral and the tires are locked up so I don't know what's going on with it but hopefully you guys can help me out.[/color:5faac3729c]

i dont have a 102 to run out and look. i thought the 44's had a pin to pouch out then pull out the shifter. internationals this problem is
very common. some u pounch out the pin, some u unbolt the shifter. look at it it should be self explanitory. than you take a bar and line up
the 3 shift rails to nuetral. put shifter back in.

Take the boot up off the tranny cover, and slide it up the shifter shaft. Take a couple of thin-blade screwdrivers, and pry the snap ring in toward the shift shaft, and get it
out of its groove. The shift lever and its pivot ball will then come out of the hole in the tranny cover. Look down inside, and there will be three steel blocks on shafts, with
notches about 3/4 inch across each of them. Put something down through the hole and move the notches until all three line up. Then carefully put the shift lever back so the
flattened ball on the end sets in the notches. Press the snap ring back into it's groove, and put the boot back.

From this point on, be very systematic about shifting into neutral, before moving into another gear. Mine tends to lock up if I try to quick shift between gears. I think there's enough mass on those shafts that they continue to move while you are going into one of the other grooves with the shift lever. You may also have broken detent springs, which are designed to stop the shafts in precise locations. The springs and balls are under pipe plug covers at the front of the tranny, behind the battery. If you go there, message me and I'll help some more. steve

(quoted from post at 19:01:09 03/31/23) From this point on, be very systematic about shifting into neutral, before moving into another gear. Mine tends to lock up if I try to quick shift between gears. I think there's enough mass on those shafts that they continue to move while you are going into one of the other grooves with the shift lever. You may also have broken detent springs, which are designed to stop the shafts in precise locations. The springs and balls are under pipe plug covers at the front of the tranny, behind the battery. If you go there, message me and I'll help some more. steve

I used to have trouble with my MF202 trans locking up like that. I finally learned to shift it slowly and had no more lock up problems.

The fix on mine was to remove the "add oil" plug and reach in with a long screw driver and move one of the gears until the shift lever could again be moved side to side. That meant it was back in neutral again.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back